Goldfish With Mouth Injury

Guest ajrosales

Guest ajrosales

I've got a large pond goldfish (about 12" long) that has a deteriorated mouth from what I believe is cotton mouth. I was trying to treat the fish in the pond (about 600 gallons) because I didn't have an isolation tank to keep her in. Today after a week of treating the pond, I was concerned that she wasn't getting much better and that I really needed to isolate her in a tank to make her well. Her mouth was swollen and she didn't look all that great, even though she was eating and she also was playfully surfacing like a normal fish.

So I went out and made a makeshift isolation tank from a 29 gallon plastic storage container and put a bubbler in it and treated the water. Sounds ok so far, right?

Well, something bad happened on the way to the isolation container. I scooped her out of the pond using a normal fine mesh net and proceeded to lower her into the container. But alas, her jaw somehow caught on the net. I guess her mouth was very bad because it had a bone sticking out (her face flesh was somewhat eaten away) and her lower jaw became lodged in the net. It took me about 5 minutes to get her face dislodged from the net by cutting it away - and then, unfortunately, she had struggled a little during this event and has now really injured herself. Half of it is partially ripped off her face and hanging away from her head (it's about 3/8" of flesh hanging). It doesn't look very good, but she is still swimming around and breathing perfectly fine. I even saw her take a little food into her mouth and swallow it.

Basically, I am concerned about this situation though. She will probably be able to live normally if she sucks her food in. I don't see her mouth functioning properly anymore after this though. I am a little sad that she is now "disabled" in this way and am not sure if she will be able to be fully normal after this incident.

Anybody have any advice for this situation? I'm kind of at a loss as to how to approach this injury. She is a very valued pet, having lived for over 12 years in the pond. Thanks

Guest ajrosales

perhaps an admin can move this into diagnosis and discussion? I think I made a mistake posting this in goldfish discussion. thanks :)

I'll move it for you :)

I'm so sorry about the accident, that must have been extremely upsetting- is there any chance you could get a picture so we can see exactly how much damage has been done? Flesh will grow back over time but it has to be cared for in pristene water as infection is always a huge threat to recovery.

The best thing now is for you to salt her water to about 0.2% (see link in my sig for farther details on how to salt) and keep it ammonia free in that tub so she can heal up. Plenty of air. Daily water changes and replace salt.

As the wound begins to heal and later when the flesh has regrown a little there are effective topical antibacterial ointments but right now, salt and perfect water will be gentlest.

Guest ajrosales

thanks for moving my post...

so it seems that this fish might actually have mouth rot instead of cotton mouth. Now that I really get a close look at her in the tank it's becoming a little clearer to me. I can't take a picture right now but perhaps later.

I have her in the tank that is salted it also has one dose of both melafix and pimafix - i was trying to cover my bases with what I thought was coton mouth. The water also has stress coat in it too.

I'm a little confused how to approach the fact that she is wounded *and* has mouth rot. Don't I have to treat her with antibiotics or something to get the mouth rot to go away?

What percentage of water change would you reccomend? I was talking to the local pond store (they were very helpful) and they mentioned to me that they thought it was a bad idea to change the water when dosing with medication (evidently they said the cumulative effect on the fish would decrease) But then again that was when I told them it was cotton mouth and when the fish didn't have part of her face ripped off.