New Mexico Photos

CountryLovah

My two favorite dogs out in new mexico were Smokey & Skip. Skip ran away a few years ago. They do things differently than I do. They let the dogs run free, without any trips to vets, unless something bad happens and even then it's rare. It scares me soo bad, and makes me very angry actully but I won't say anything more about that in here.

Skip was my favorite dog ever. (before MY dog JJ). He was very special. I was very depressed for some time out there, and he would always know when I needed him. He always seemed to be right there. Even if the other dogs were off chasing rabbits, if I was feeling bad, Skip would come lay with me and no matter what temptation was there, he wouldn't leave my side. I begged and begged for them to let me take him home with me, but it was my other sister in law Shayna's dog, so she didn't want him to go. It's sad because now she says she wishes I had taken him.

Here are some pics. Smokey is the black one. (I completely forget what breed - I know she is a mix.) Skip was half basset hound and I do not know what else. His mom is 100% Basset, there is a picture of her too. Her name is Patches. The pics of the puppies are Smokey & Skip's puppies. Strange combination but they sure were cute!!! I heard they looked funny as they grew up though. Smokey & Patches are still alive. I am now trying to get them to give me Smokey!

SmokeyMeSkip.jpg

MeSkip.jpg

Patches.jpg

SmokeyHerPups.jpg

SmokeyHerPups2.jpg

Then here's one of me with one of the goats, Butterball. I was pretending I was going to ride him. lol

MeButterball.jpg

And here's some more random ones, with the yuccas, etc.

MeYuccaatsunset.jpg

MeYuccagettingdarker.jpg

Me.jpg

It's sooo different from here too. The other day I was buying wood to put in my hermit crab tank and Tanya said "Sue just call Dad! He can get you that stuff from the backyard for free!". She said "we'll have him send you a bunch of it and you can sell it online!".

How fun!! I love to see where other people are from.

The dogs are so sweet. Smokey does look like maybe part Aussie based on the coloring. Also maybe part chow?

I hate the mentality of people just letting dogs run loose but unfortunately it's common. Around here there are a lot of rural areas where it's just understood that dogs run free, and they usually aren't part of the family. They also usually end up out on the freeways after being hit the night before. :(

Certainly very different from the way I keep my pets!

I like the pics of you by the yucca. I love those and Joshua trees. I made the mistake of stabbing myself on a Joshua tree once. LOL!

Yes that's what she is! Part Chow! I knew I would know it if I saw it, I just couldn't remember.

That's exactly how dogs are there too.. They usually keep 3-4 of them, and they stay mostly outside. Patches leaves and goes to a neighbors because they let her inside. She comes home to eat. They've been better about letting Smokey inside during the winter. They let her on the porch. It's not heating, but it is enclosed. It's so sad to see them outside freezing. My mother in law would let them be house dogs, but my father in law grew up thinking "dogs stay outside, they can handle it".

Glad you guys like the pics! : )

Well, one thing I loved about living in the country is that I could let my dog run free. I hate cooping a dog up, but then I totally believe that dogs are house dogs too when they want to be. I like having a doggie door so they can come and go when they want. Of course, I had a good/smart dog who knew how far she could go and to stay away from the busy road. She'd just roam around the farmlands during the day while I was at work. I don't know where she roamed exactly or how often she would come home to the house while I was away, but she was always there to greet me when I got home. Of course, now, I'm in an apartment in LA and can't have pets. Except for fish! And I'm not sure if the landlord really even allows that! But, too bad! Anyway darlin', I love your pics!

Well you know, I think there is a difference between giving your dogs freedom, and not giving them correct attention. Like in your case, having the doggie door, they are able to come in if it gets too hot/cold etc. It sounds like you trained them well to know what was acceptable and what wasn't and in that case it's wonderful to have all that space for them to have fun.

I think what bothers me the most is that in my in law's case, the dogs aren't vaccinated. For anything, not even rabies. That's so scary, for dogs and people.. They aren't trained in any way to stay away from the roads. They've had a number of dogs get hit in the road. They don't have anywhere to go when it gets really cold.

Again, it's something I have talked to them about, and they aren't going to change. I've learned, and this is sad, to try to NOT get attached to the animals out there. That's easier said than done, especially when it comes to the dogs. The other animals you can avoid if need be, but how can you resist when the dogs come running up to you? I gotta work on getting Smokey up here!!!! lol

Well you know, I think there is a difference between giving your dogs freedom, and not giving them correct attention. Like in your case, having the doggie door, they are able to come in if it gets too hot/cold etc. It sounds like you trained them well to know what was acceptable and what wasn't and in that case it's wonderful to have all that space for them to have fun.

I think what bothers me the most is that in my in law's case, the dogs aren't vaccinated. For anything, not even rabies. That's so scary, for dogs and people.. They aren't trained in any way to stay away from the roads. They've had a number of dogs get hit in the road. They don't have anywhere to go when it gets really cold.

Again, it's something I have talked to them about, and they aren't going to change. I've learned, and this is sad, to try to NOT get attached to the animals out there. That's easier said than done, especially when it comes to the dogs. The other animals you can avoid if need be, but how can you resist when the dogs come running up to you? I gotta work on getting Smokey up here!!!! lol

I agree. My dog was always vaccinated and saw the vet and she was given mass quantities of attention. She was my baby, my soulmate. She slept in my bedroom with me every night at the foot of my bed. I've been around that farmer country mentality. Animals are there for work and are just another piece of equipment. No attachments, no special treatment. It made sense, I suppose, a long time ago when you didn't have vets and you needed them for work, but now....?

Edited by lynda441