Bubbles/bubblewands?

I was browsing YouTube the other day and I found a video that has me curious.

Do goldies really need this many bubbles??

<- link. :)

"New 28" bubble wand with power head. 55gallon, cascade 1000 canister filter, 3 common, 1 comet, 3 red tail tin foils, 1 minnow, 1 common pleco, 1 calico fantail, 1 red top oranda fantail"

(they may also be over crowding their tank! Many people have commented telling them this, but eh..)

Yes, you're very overcrowded. Only allowing 10 gallons each for the goldies and pleco, most of which should actually be allowed 20 gallons, you're at about 75 gallons, so you do have a big problem there. But, that's not your question, so.....

Yes, goldies do need a lot of oxygenation, but bubblers like that should be secondary air sources, not primary. If you have excellent filtration, which for as many fish as you have, I hope you do, you don't need the bubblers. And bubblers don't add much oxygen if they produce large bubbles that carry all the oxygen to the surface and then pop, releasing all the oxygen outside of the tank. The smaller the bubbles and the more they're circulated around in the tank, the better the oxygenation. Plus, many goldies like playing in the bubbles, so sometimes, bubblers are adding just as a play toy.

Yes, you're very overcrowded. Only allowing 10 gallons each for the goldies and pleco, most of which should actually be allowed 20 gallons, you're at about 75 gallons, so you do have a big problem there. But, that's not your question, so.....

Yes, goldies do need a lot of oxygenation, but bubblers like that should be secondary air sources, not primary. If you have excellent filtration, which for as many fish as you have, I hope you do, you don't need the bubblers. And bubblers don't add much oxygen if they produce large bubbles that carry all the oxygen to the surface and then pop, releasing all the oxygen outside of the tank. The smaller the bubbles and the more they're circulated around in the tank, the better the oxygenation. Plus, many goldies like playing in the bubbles, so sometimes, bubblers are adding just as a play toy.

Oh, it's not MY aquarium. o_o

It's one I found on youtube! X_x; I'm only stuck with my one fish and 10-gallon.

Just curious.. the person that uploaded kept saying that goldies NEEDED so many bubbles.. I may look into something that makes pretty bubbles when I get my 29-gal? :heart

Oh, it's not MY aquarium. o_o

It's one I found on youtube! X_x; I'm only stuck with my one fish and 10-gallon.

Just curious.. the person that uploaded kept saying that goldies NEEDED so many bubbles.. I may look into something that makes pretty bubbles when I get my 29-gal? :heart

duh... well, I'm dumb and glad! :sorry:: That person is sort of right. Goldies need oxygen and people assume that bubbles are oxygen. But, like I said, when the bubbles pop on the surface, none of the oxygen gets in the water. So, you gotta get the right kind of bubbles dispersed in the right way and that's where that guy's wrong. But, like I said, if you have good filtration and circulation, those bubblers make great play toys for the fishies.

Edited by lynda441