Water Change

im going to wait until my tank gets cycled probaly or close but since Harold had dropsy will i have to do a 100% water change or something when i get my new fish?

Forgive me, Mac, I've been following your posts, but I have a terrible memory. How long have you had your tank, in other words, how far along is it in the cycling process? And what are your test readings? I ask because it would be good to know how much beneficial bacteria you may have established. If it's very new, a 100% water change won't hurt anything, but if it's close to being done cycling, a 100% water change is going crash that. I'm not a mod and they will much better be able to answer this question, but I'm just lending my support. Now, I know that if you have a tank that had parasites, they will die naturally without any treatment if there are no fish in the tank for a period of like a month, but with a bacterial infection which dropsy usually is, I'm not certain if that dies out naturally as well. So, I'll be interested to read the response from a mod on this.

ok i will have some test result posted soon. when i got the epsom salt i did a 75% water change which probaly did get rid of some of the good bacteria but i just wanted to know if dropsy went away naturally or not. i will wait until my tank gets cycled though.

Because Trinket is in Japan, she doesn't usually get on until later in the evening, our time, but be patient. She'll be on eventually. In the meantime, get your water tested so you'll have some results for her. :)

OK HERE ARE THE RESULTS: ph 7.8, amaonia 0.0, nitrite 1.0, and nitrate 0.0

Well, ph is good. Looks like you're in the second stage of cycling. You're ammonia is gone and you have nitrites. Depending on how long those have been there, it's about 20 days more or less, usually more, before you'll see the nitrites go away and you'll get nitrates. Just keep up with the cycling regimen and someone should be on to discuss whether you need to do anything for the dropsy bacteria, if there is any.

i have a question:will i have to do a 100% water change when i do get my new fish because Harold had dropsy or does it go away naturally?

i have a question:will i have to do a 100% water change when i do get my new fish because Harold had dropsy or does it go away naturally?

I don't know either, I just wanted to tell you that I am happy you are not rushing out for new fish right away. I like you. You are one of those people that think first. Smart.

Good luck with the new fish. :)

thanks roni and good job inspiring your own forum! lucky!!!! :gcar:

thanks roni and good job inspiring your own forum! lucky!!!! :gcar:

I know you are still waiting for the answer to your question, ("QUOTE(MACBOOK96 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:43 PM) i have a question:will i have to do a 100% water change when i do get my new fish because Harold had dropsy or does it go away naturally?") I just wanted respond to this post real quick.

Mac, I'm sorry the younger crowd didn't get a spot, but maybe one will show up one day.

Actually I didn't think up the forum. I found out Koko has had it open in the past, but closed it due to inactivity. She still isn't sure it will remain open, depends on how many people actually use it. If you ever really need to vent and need suggestions on how to bring others to the knowledge you are learning... go ahead and PM me. I don't have answers, but I may have a suggestion or two you can try. ::shrug::

You're a smart guy. Just remember to show appreciation to your parents for what they do for you, no matter WHAT it is they are doing for you. Please also remember that if your parents don't help with an expense you have or listen with enthusiasm to you about your fish doesn't mean they don't care. There may be reasons, unknown to you, why they can't help finacially and not everyone likes fish. :)

Take care young'un. I'm here if you need me.

I've heard this question asked before, about whether bacteria and/or viral infections die out naturally without fish, and I still haven't heard an answer. I'm sorry a mod hasn't stopped by here sooner. I'll drop a line to someone and see if both of us can finally get an answer on this. Hold tight!

roni im not sad that I cant get into that forum. because i dont really have nothing to vent when it comes to venting out about my parents because they are really good to me and they really care alot about my fish. (if they didnt why would they buy my that 60 gallon tank)! lol i wish kokos had a forum where people under 18 non members or members where we could vent about the stress of school. but i understand. also.... whenever i try to PM someone it gives me a error message i dont know why it does this?

thanks lynda

Edited by MACBOOK96

roni im not sad that I cant get into that forum. because i dont really have nothing to vent when it comes to venting out about my parents because they are really good to me and they really care alot about my fish. (if they didnt why would they buy my that 60 gallon tank)! lol i wish kokos had a forum where people under 18 non members or members where we could vent about the stress of school. but i understand. also.... whenever i try to PM someone it gives me a error message i dont know why it does this?

::chuckle:: I think if you try to PM now, you may be able to. I believe you had to have 100 posts to PM, which your last post just put you there. Go ahead and try to pm me again. It may be 200 posts, I'm not sure.

Congrats on reaching 101! See what posting a lot will get you? More points, more privileges, but most importantly, more knowledge! Yay for you!

::chuckle:: so I saw. LOL

Mac remember when you are needing a question aswered to always try to leave that question where the mods can see it in the last post. ok?

You wanted to know, :(MACBOOK96 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:43 PM) i have a question:will i have to do a 100% water change when i do get my new fish because Harold had dropsy or does it go away naturally?")

Since Lynda441 is already trying to get an answer for you, I'll step back and let her proceed. Take care young'un.

ok should i post it again?

::chuckle:: I already had. Just remember to do that from now on. Below is the question you wanted answered. Just leave this post as the last one or if you add info, just tack it on the end. :)

You wanted to know, :(MACBOOK96 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:43 PM) i have a question:will i have to do a 100% water change when i do get my new fish because Harold had dropsy or does it go away naturally?")

hi macbook, not having a source of ammonia will make you cycle crash ..and having a bacteria present that killed your other fish may still be lurkning in your tank ...doing a 100 % water change could put a bump in the cycle since not established but not a serious one ..alot of the benificial bacteria remains in the fiilter or gravel ...I would not risk putting a new fish in the same tank that had the same bio media that was present with your ill fish (to risky )bad bacteria multiplies like crazy ..I would start from the start again after evrything has been disinfected and rinsed beyond belife you can do a fishless cycle using natural ammonia from the hardware store or a cycle with a fish which you need to do one daily or even somtimes twice daily waterchanges and readings of your water until cycled ..I have done cycles with all my fish on all 5 tanks but it is a whole lot of work and you need to react quickly when things spike ...if you choose to do a fishless cycle I will find the link on how to use the ammonia :)

Hi-d has a lot more knowledge and it's good to hear a bit of an answer on this question. But, Roni! Don't bow out! You have great advice too!

Yeah, better safe than sorry. Drain the tank, clean it and the filter well (not with soap though darlin') and start over. I'd rather the cycling take longer and know that it's really safe than to cut corners and have questionable water quality.

aaaannnddd.... my personal preference... do a fishless cycle... but, that's just me. :)

you guys are great !!! :D .....but yes it certainly dose not make sense to cut corners for a sake of a cycle it is always better to be safe than sorry a fish can live through a cycle if your 100% dedicated to it, but a fish can succumb to a bacterial infection even when you try your hardest :( ..I would hate to see you go through another loss macebook

I would hate to see you go through another loss macbook

I totally agree! No more sadness for you!

ok tomorrow i will try to do a 100% water change