Small/no Wen On Ranchu?

Brams

Do some Ranchus just not have wen growth? My Jou is getting bigger, but his wen isn't. Are some Ranchus just fated not to have a wen? He gets a varied diet of flakes, Hikari Oranda Gold, peas, bloodworms, tubifex worms and broccoli. I do w/c for the 33 US gals tank twice a week (just under 25% each time, or there abouts). There is a waterstone and also added oxygen from the valve on the filter.

Varied diet, clean water and oxygen!! What more does my ranchu (and my oranda for that matter) need to get a flippin wen??

I am sure it could well have been a "pure bred" Ranchu......

Wenned fish will display all developments of wen - even within a single spawn. Much of the development of the wen is genetically determined - but much can also be affected by the breeder and the food the fish is fed when newly hatched and for the first few months - as well as the foods you feed.

If the genetics of the fish allow for wen development, a diet high in protien will help that wen grow to it's full potential. If the genetics are not there, however, no amount of protien will make a difference.

REmember.... there is a great difference between a "Ranchu" wen, a "TVR" wen, a "Lionhead" wen and a "Lionchu" wen.

wens on small ranchu looks very smooth at first. You should view the fish from top. Even without any wen you should notice that the head looks more square then rounded, that is a sign that the wen is in development. Ranchu wen is usually not bumpy like on orandas, lionheads, and lionchu, it tends to be smoother and more even. How old and large is your fish, show us pictures.

Hi I tried to get decent pictures of Jou but my camera is terrible and he zips around like a little buzz bucket - they're all terribly blurred pictures. From the top the head doesn't really look 'square' as you say spider man, it seems quite rounded.

I've had Jou since early April, got him on the 15th I think. I have absolutely no idea how old he was then. When I last measured him on June 18th he was approx. 2.5 inches including tail. I don't know if he is pure Ranchu but I always assume he is not Lionhead because he has a pronounced tailtuck and his back is arched, not straight. I don't know alot about these Lionchus you mentioned though?

Hey Fire, it sounds like you are doing a great job with him. Lionchus are a combination of qualities of both lionheads and ranchus. Their body shape is that of a ranchu i.e. arch back and nice tail tuck but the head growth is that of a lionhead. Really large and bumby. Most of the ranchus coming out of china are lionchus. The traditional ranchu stays mostly in japan. Your fish is young and has a lot growing to do. Like Daryl said, genetics play a huge part in the development of the wen. Just feed him well, lots of water changes and make sure he is not with fish like commons or commets who will out compete him for food.

• 3 years later...

hi i have the same issue. I have bought 3 goldfish with an arched back and they still haven't got a wen developed. It's been 3 months now. Is it possible they are not ranchus but eggfish or a compination of those 2? they are getting big fast and look very round and fat but no wen has been developed yet. Their heads are square kind of.