Goldfish Amputee

~SHAWNA~

I have a funny question. I have one goldfish that is missing a pelvic fin. He is 4 years old. He was given to me several months ago, and his previous owner had never noticed that he had anything abnormal. Do fins grow back?? My guess is no, similar to if we were to loose an arm or leg... All that he has left is a little stubby bit where it should be. It was very much healed over when he came into my posession, so it really does not tell me if he was born this way, or if it is some kind of abnormality. Thoughts??

The fin will grow back if it hasn't been destroyed all the way down to the skin... if it was lost through damage and/or disease. If it's genetic, it won't grow back. And it's hard to say which it might be. Goldfish are always being bred differently to create new kinds, and then there's just careless breeding, so, it could very well be genetic. Just yesterday, as a matter of fact, I was at a LFS that had a fantail goldfish in with the single tails and I wondered why. I looked closer and said, "hey little buddy, what're you doing in here?" and then noticed that it only had one side of its double tail. There was just this tiniest of stumps on the other side. Genetics. This one was genetics for certain... so, who knows!?