Some New Fish...

Well I got a couple new gf in QT right now. I had a black moor in there but he didn't make it :cry1 . I don't think he had anything, the more I watched him the more I realized he just wasn't a very strong fish. I think he probably should have been culled as a fry. So I decided to be a little more selective in my purchases. I bought another black moor (Flower) from my lfs that is a much better specimen than the last one and I also bought a pearlscale from a chain store. I was only gonna get the one black moor but I saw that pearlscale (Swimmy) and I had to have him. This is my first experience with this breed and I can't wait to see him grow! They're both doing great so far. I know I should only have 1 fish in a 10g but they're both just over 1in long so I figure it would be ok for a couple weeks. I'll post some pics when I get some good ones!

I shot a quick video with my phone.

th_013-1.jpg

I wanted to name him Meatball but my daughter insisted on Swimmy so it stuck. He's a curious little fish!

Again: Sorry about the video quality.

Edited by tangelo123

My little pearlscale, Apricot (RIP), was a real adventurer. She LOVED riding the wave, that is, the current from the filter and I've heard other say their pearlscale was the same, so you may have this to look forward to. It's really quite hilarious! Mine died a month after I brought her home. I think she had something when I bought her. Be careful how much you feed and what you feed cuz they're one of the ones with the extra big belly that can be more prone to constipation. They're both darling!

Thanks Lynda, I wondered about constipation problems with the giant belly. I'm already giving him small bits of peas to combat that. Anyone else have any pearlscale specific tips?

Well, I don't know that there is too much more mentioned, but Koko's Types of Goldfish section has a good description about pearlscales. I've heard they like a little higher ph, but I don't know how much truth there is to that and wouldn't know why if it is true.....

I read that section after I sent that last post. It pretty much answered all my questions. When I was watching him today I noticed a place on his head that is probably going to turn into a head growth. I'm kinda on the fence about whether I'd want that or not. I'll take good care of him either way but that picture of the pearlscale with the big ball growth looks funky!

Yeah, that big bubble was wierd, but mostly, the crown, which is what it's called on a pearlscale, that I have seen are smaller more like two bumps that just look more like a high forehead. I'm sure those big bubbles are more on the show quality, so hopefully, yours won't get that gianormous!

Yeah, that big bubble was wierd, but mostly, the crown, which is what it's called on a pearlscale, that I have seen are smaller more like two bumps that just look more like a high forehead. I'm sure those big bubbles are more on the show quality, so hopefully, yours won't get that gianormous!

That does seem like a pretty big genetic mutation; I wonder how good the fish's quality of life is with a big fluid-filled sac on top of it's head. I guess if they weren't in pain and they could find food and swim ok. I've never seen one like that up close so I couldn't say.

I have a crowned pearlie mix and her crown has not grown to anything more than a couple of small bumps even though she has grown alot. I'm glad of that! I don't like those big bubbles either.

That does seem like a pretty big genetic mutation; I wonder how good the fish's quality of life is with a big fluid-filled sac on top of it's head. I guess if they weren't in pain and they could find food and swim ok. I've never seen one like that up close so I couldn't say.

Talk about big fluid filled sacs on your head... look at what I came across in my net surfing.... they're called double bubble eyes...

doublebubble.jpg