Smoke, Heat And Sick Goldies

Ok, so its 110 degrees here, i have no air, my tank are all in the mid-high 80's at the moment. i have been doing 1/4 water changes daily to help cool the tanks and dropping ice in as i have done for the last.. eerr... 7 years? My remaining 3 goldfish are on the bottom, lethargic and my largest common had a small sore on his anal fin

this year we are having terrible wildfires and its getting into everything- even the water. I have lost 2 betta's, and 3 goldfish thus far with a combo of the heat and smoke i believe. Cory cats, plecos and snails are all doing fine as of now.

In my 40 gallon tank, i had (over stocked im terrible) 2 lionheads (one 1.5 inches the other 2" not with tails) and my 2 commons 5" and 6", now the 1.5" lionhead is gone :( . I have 2 filters, the old version of what is now a penguin 150 and an aquaclear 30. bare bottom tank, a flat "goldfshbowl" of gravel for "nap time" that is gravel vaced and a tiki statue. My normal water is neutral, about 7.0-7.2, but i havnt checked it with all the ash everywhere. the tank has been running for almost 3 years with bi-monthly to monthly water changes. The water is crystal clear. theirs also a 10 inch bubblewand going

my test kit is expired so i dont trust it, im off to nnnn to have them check my water and get some salt.

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 40 gals and 3 years approx

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? 1 penguin 150 and 1 aquaclear 30

[*]How often do you change the water and how much bi monthly to monthly- 1/3 (1/4 daily as of this week)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? was 4- (1.5" lionhead, 3" lionhead, 5" common, 6" common)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime is usually it

[*]Any medications added to the tank? a bit of Jungle pond Anti-Bacteria Medicated fish food, soon to do salt

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? not in 3 years

[*]What do you feed your fish? tetraExotic sinking ministicks

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? a small sore on the largest common, clamped fins on him, lots of laying on the bottom for everyone

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? refer above

Help my save my kids!

Ps, havnt been on in forever, hi to anyone who remembers me.

**edit** My little lionhead who died, Newt, was fine and in 12 hours looked as though she had been dropped in a vat of acid. I worried about a pH drop, but everyone else seemed fine then. She lost her slime coat, had what looked like horrific fin rot and a white "ulcer" looking thing on one eye. she floated and sank, and eventually died. no one picked on her, as i was off work and stared for hours.....

Edited by magickzzl

Hi!

Im sorry about your fish. We have heard about the fires through koko who is also in your neck of the woods.

I would say -first impression- you may have pH problems. Your first fish that died sounds like he was acid burnt. A starting point of 7 and external issues with people needing extra water for the fires and so on -that might cause some changes in water supplies.

The bottom sitting could also be pH related.

The trouble is without a kit to test its all guess work.

I went to nnnn and they were out of tests kits. Really, they were out of store use kits, for sale kits, it sucks. I added 1 TBLS per 5 gallons water and this morning everyone is looking much better. Im trying to get a shot of Hale Bops wound but the inflamation looks like its coming down. Im off to mmm to get my water tested and see if its a test kit strike or everyones as paranoide as me.

thanks

Hi ~~~<---waving

Just wanted to pop in something I learned through growing my veggies. Ash is very acidic. If it's getting into the tanks then it's definately dropping the PH. It takes very little to mess it up.

I live below Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear in San Bernardino. I gone through this twice now with my 10yo Comet. I found if I covered his tank with a wet damp tea towel or cheesecloth, even wet paper towels would work, it kept the ash from getting in the tank. (Now it helps keep cat hair from my 4 cats out. :) )

I hope that helps a little.

Hi ~~~<---waving

Just wanted to pop in something I learned through growing my veggies. Ash is very acidic. If it's getting into the tanks then it's definately dropping the PH. It takes very little to mess it up.

I live below Lake Arrowhead/Big Bear in San Bernardino. I gone through this twice now with my 10yo Comet. I found if I covered his tank with a wet damp tea towel or cheesecloth, even wet paper towels would work, it kept the ash from getting in the tank. (Now it helps keep cat hair from my 4 cats out. :) )

I hope that helps a little.

That's exactly the first thing that popped into my head and what I was thinking. Ash in the tank will definitely drop the ph. Great suggestion for keeping it out! And, if the water out of the tap tests for a good ph, I'd say do a large water change and get some stable ph water in the tank and then cover it with the wet cloth, but Trinket is the final say on this!

Thank you all for your help!! Thats a great idea, cover the tank with a wet cloth... i already am doing it for the hermies

Took the water in and as suspected, everything was fine (ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrites 5-10) save the ph which was off the charts low, after a water change. I added salt and they started to pirk up last night, and this morning i added coral to their sleeping bowl and gave them some annacharis. everyone is now acting like nothing happened! inflamation is coming down even more on Hale Bop, and i will keep a carefull eye on them but i think it will be ok!

thanks all again!!!

Thank you all for your help!! Thats a great idea, cover the tank with a wet cloth... i already am doing it for the hermies

Took the water in and as suspected, everything was fine (ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrites 5-10) save the ph which was off the charts low, after a water change. I added salt and they started to pirk up last night, and this morning i added coral to their sleeping bowl and gave them some annacharis. everyone is now acting like nothing happened! inflamation is coming down even more on Hale Bop, and i will keep a carefull eye on them but i think it will be ok!

thanks all again!!!

yay! :clapping: See? The answer is always in the water! Good job magickzzl! :hi5