Redcap Rescue

I went to the petstore today and found the tiniest red cap oranda. I estimate a half inch or less. He's missing scales, has red streaks in his tail, pink showing through his scales, and some white spots on his tail that do not look like ick. I couldn't stand to leave him there so I brought him home, and immediately salted and added prazipro. I just want to know if there's anything else I can do for this little guy.

[*]Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5-10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.6

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.4

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) Tetra drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 5 gallons, since september

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? not sure

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? I plan on changing daily until he's out of quarantine and into a 75

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 red cap oranda less than 1/2 inch

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? dechlorinator

[*]Any medications added to the tank? salt at 0.1 and prazi

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?

[*]What do you feed your fish? hikari lionhead gold and various fruits and veggies

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

I realize 5 gallons is not ideal, but he is very tiny and I plan on daily water changes. I just wanted to know if there's anything else I can be doing for him. I have jungle antibacterial food on hand if he needs it, but wanted to wait and see if clean water and salt + prazi would help before medicating. He's hanging out in the quiet spot in the tank, but is looking perkier already. I guess I'm just wondering if I should use the medicated food or wait it out.

That is one task you have taken on, but you already did good by not putting any more medication in with him. The salt/Prazi combination is the most gentle and very effective treatment for a whole range of baddies. Poor thing is probably stressed from the store, as well as the move, so I would just give him a ton of rest. Maybe shutting/keeping the lights off.

With missing scales there might be already exposure to bacteria, depending on how long those scales are missing. I'd watch those red streaks for now - if they come from bad water conditions, they'll disappear rather fast with better water.

Less than 1/2 inch is awefully tiny - I'd crumble his food up a bit for now, he might not be able to fetch anything that is normal pellet size. If you have any bloodworms or daphnia, anything of the frozen food variety, I'd tempt him with that. Its like potato chips or chicken soap for us humans - we would want that when we feel crappy. :thumbs: And give him 2-3 smaller meals instead of one big one - smaller fish need more frequent meals. Clean up whatever isnt' eaten after 10 minutes. :)

Awesome. Thank you so much for the quick response. I don't think he's been that way long since it's actually a fish store I kind of trust. As soon as I pointed it out, she treated the whole tank with salt and discounted the price of the fish, after making sure I was taking him straight home and treating him. His tank is pretty much bare, so I put a small glass in the tank for him to rest in and shut off the lights in the room he's in. I realize it's going to be alot of work, but since I am a stay at home mom, I will be here to watch over him and make sure nothing gets any worse.

I really hate to bump myself ahead of anyone who really needs help here since I think the little girl (that's what I've decided as of now) is doing ok. The streaks have all but disappeared. She has no more pink showing through her scales, and she's much more active than when I brought her home. She is still a bit frightened by the aquarium light. She is at 0.3 salt right now and the white spots have not increased, nor have they decreased so I'm guessing it's not ick. Maybe she was just so tiny she was being picked on by the larger fish? She's had round 2 of prazipro and has reacted well to the salt. I guess my question is should I leave the salt at 0.3 for a bit? Should I just assume that this is damage to her fins from being picked on? Sometimes I think I've learned enough to get me by, but I still worry so much. She was so tiny that I couldn't leave her there since I had the space.

I'm so glad to hear that she's getting better. Yeah, leave that salt in there until she looks perfect. Hopefully those spots will eventually go away. If it is a parasite, it could take a bit of time, but it sounds like you've got it stopped now, so it just may need time to reverse. What sort of water changes are you doing? With ich/parasites, you at least occasionally need to do a 100% to get rid of all of the eggs. And do you have a bare bottom? That helps too with getting rid of parasites. And the fins will take a bit of time to heal. They probably won't heal until after the spots/ich are gone because the tail rot is a reaction to all of the lowered immunity caused by the parasites. And don't feel bad for bumping ahead! It's the only way to get heard sometimes! There's lot of questions on here and sometimes they just accidentally get buried. So, if you have more questions or any kind of comment, just jump right in! We love to help you!