Please Help! My Lion Head Might Have Fungus Problems.

Guest Christo7

Guest Christo7

Hi all, I'm new.

But more urgently my baby Lion Head goldfish was bought about 6 days ago from "Pets at Home", the english version of Pet-Smaart in the US. I'm now worried about the LEFT hand side scales on my Lion Head. I dont know whats happening, but it was bought like this from the shop and the woman said it was "ok". But I am not sure if it is.

Lion head goldfish are extremly rare where I live in the UK, thats why I need to take extra care of it. If fact theres now none left in my town unitl a few months. Can anyone tell me if my fish is ok from the video link provided below. Any comments much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCf8_mv76jw

Thanks

Chris

Edited by Christo7

What a very nice Lionhead you have! :) Well, I am no expert, but I will tell you that it is very important that you answer all the questions in the white box above. More information will be needed to properly diagnose your fish. Personally, I had a hard time seeing his scales in the video, since the lighting is somewhat dark. If possible, if you could post a still picture showing his side? I think that would really help. :) For now, all I can suggest is to keep your water quality pristine to help whatever may be going on with him. :)

Yes, as Desiree says, we need your exact water parameters in order to help. If you don't have a test kit, take a sample of your water to the fish store and ask them to test it for you. But have them write down the exact values for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Don't let them just tell you "it's okay".

Guest Christo7

Hi I wish I could provide water parameters but unfortunately I cant due to water testing kits being well out of my budget, about ?20 per kit in the UK! Also pets at home charge about ?5 but I see this as very uneconomical since I have to do it after every water change.

Apparently from what I've gathered from telephone calls to fish shops, the Lion Head is prone to fungus and this is why many fish shops in my area (2 only) do not have many throughout the year. I chose not to use so many chemicals, just one which does it all called King British here in the UK. So I believe the water is of good quality. Plus I've kept these fancy goldfish fish for many years pretty well in my opinion (apart from bubble eyes).

I would also like to take a picture but I seriously do not want to stress this fish out since it is already incredibly nervous when he see any movement at all. Even when filming it, it hid within the plants and swam very eratically.

So don't know what to do really.

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chris,

Welcome to Koko's! Like all the previous members mentioned, it really is important for you to try to get the water parameters. Knowing the actual parameters is the first step in diagnosing what may be causing your goldfish any health problems. And if you can't be certain of what's wrong with your fish, trying to treat it with whichever medications would actually end up costing more if you purchase the wrong medications.

If you absolutely cannot purchase a water testing kit, bring your water in and have the staff at the fish store write down the parameters.

Also, you can still provide answers for the other questions such as tank size, how long it's been running, what water additives and what not.

The questions are there to help provide the key information for our mods to narrow down the causes and diagnose what is wrong. So please try and provide as much information as you can. :)

You'll find that our mods and members will attempt to help you as best they can and most seasoned members will not jump to conclusions when it comes to diseases.

Hope you're able to find out what your water parameters are so that we can help you better!

~Tink.

Guest Christo7

Well I've been browsing around various Goldfish enthusiast websites and came across a goldfish video site. Been looking throuhg hundreds of videos and spotted this one about Lionchu's. I think at this moment in time I am going to assume that what is happening is a colour change, becuase my fish looks to have various white patches like the ones shown in the video (link below). I wish I could take more closeups of my own Lion head but don't want to touch the slime coat and what not.

http://www.goldfishvideos.com/video/BZG4-yHdCfI

Enjoy

Chris

Hi Christo,

This is a cute fish but a fish suffering from low immune response. Color is fading badly and the slime coat is very weak on one side. Fungus may attach if it hasn't already, it looks like it hasn't yet...color is the first thing to go when a fish is under parr.

Are you familiar with how to cycle a tank? It is very hard to do without those test kits that everyone here is rightly recommending. If you really cannot get them and this tank is newly set up (within the last month or so) then you will need to be doing half tank partial water changes daily for about 6-8 weeks until the tank is safely "cycled".

This is what any responsible fish keeper anywhere out there is going to tell you. An uncycled tank kills fish faster than any goldfish disease ever did.

The diagnosis questions (as many as you can answer is fine) laid out above in the white box are pre-requisite info for diagnosis in this forum.

I know it sounds like maybe we're being kinda hard-nosed and uncooperative, but it really is essential that we get all the information about your tank, filter, water conditions, cleaning habits, etc. because those tell absolutely everything about what is happening with your fish. There is a saying, "take care of the water and the fish will take care of themselves."

Sometimes fish do just change color if their color is an unstable one such as black, and sometimes they'll get white when they start getting old, but the orange/gold color is the most stable color, so when it changes, it means that it's not getting the proper food or good water quality. Your fish appears to still be in a very early stage of whatever is happening, so catching and correcting it now is when you will have the best success.

We're here for you!

Guest Christo7

Hi can anyone tell me what is the best way to catch my lion head fish for a photograph considering that it is incredibly nervous already, has a poor slime coat and is a fancy so its fins might get caught in the net. The only other fish I had who was this nervous now suffers Swim bladder disease because it didn't even like to go up to the surface to eat properly, it lost trust when my dad picked it up to photograph it too.

Thanks

Chris

Chris we do not need another picture. The video you posted shows us very clearly what is going on.

In order to suggest some medication we need to know the condition of your water. pH is vital to know when prescribing meds as well as if you have any ammonia or nitrites/high nitrates. Ammonia is a classic for ripping off slime coat color and acidic pH can also do this.

Could you take a sample of your water as of now (before changing the water) to the petstore and have it checked. Write down the exact numbers.

Then, you should do an 80% temperature matched water change.