What Is Happening?

bluiis

I bought a new beautiful tiny gold fish about a month ago and she is in a 10 gal tank. I have 2 air stones in it and a 20 gal tank size filter system. All water test are perfect.

She has been healthy and active until the last 2 days.

She acts like she has no energy and can't swim. She keeps floating up but not gasping for air.

She looks like she is suffering and dyeing right in front of me.

Last night I did a water change but she looks worse today.

WHAT COULD BE HAPPENING?

HELP

And post a picture if you can?

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? don't know

Nitrate level? don't know

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? don't know

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? don't know

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) Ammonia I use the drop kit by API for the rest I use strips so I don't know the exact levels your asking but all fell into the safe area. I also brought the water to be tested at the pet store and they said the water was good, but I do not know what kind of drop kit they used.

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gal over a year

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? I think it's Aqua Clear and like I said above it is for a 15- 20 gal tank and I hav a 10

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Since she has been with me for a month I changed 25-35 % one time until last night when I changes 75%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? only her

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? last night I used Tetra Aqua Safe

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?No

[*]What do you feed your fish? tetra fin flakes

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt", No

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? No she ate yesterday morning even tho she was moving slow

I'm sorry to hear your fish is ill. More often than not, when they test at a LFS and say the water is "safe" it really is not, at least not for goldfish. If you cannot purchase a complete API kit right now, I would recommend going to the LFS and have them re-test your water, making sure they give you numbers, not "safe" or "unsafe". Once you do that, please post the water parameters here. That will dramatically help people see what is going on to better help you and your fish.

Also, when she floats, how long does this last? Is it like she is stuck upside down at the surface? Or does she right herself after a moment? You mentioned that you have had her for a month and this is the second time you have done a water change. I would not be suprised if your tank is still cycling and nitrites and nitrates have possibly built up to an unsafe level. I would strongly recommend doing daily water changes between 30-50% to keep the water parameters safe.

Very often, fish will exhibit symptoms of distress due to poor water quality, once the water improves so does their symptoms. I would not treat her water with any medications at this point, as medications & poor water quality can harm a fish even more. For now just be very diligent with water changes and have your water re-tested.

Please keep us posted on your fish.

I'm sorry to hear your fish is ill. More often than not, when they test at a LFS and say the water is "safe" it really is not, at least not for goldfish. If you cannot purchase a complete API kit right now, I would recommend going to the LFS and have them re-test your water, making sure they give you numbers, not "safe" or "unsafe". Once you do that, please post the water parameters here. That will dramatically help people see what is going on to better help you and your fish.

Also, when she floats, how long does this last? Is it like she is stuck upside down at the surface? Or does she right herself after a moment? You mentioned that you have had her for a month and this is the second time you have done a water change. I would not be suprised if your tank is still cycling and nitrites and nitrates have possibly built up to an unsafe level. I would strongly recommend doing daily water changes between 30-50% to keep the water parameters safe.

Very often, fish will exhibit symptoms of distress due to poor water quality, once the water improves so does their symptoms. I would not treat her water with any medications at this point, as medications & poor water quality can harm a fish even more. For now just be very diligent with water changes and have your water re-tested.

Please keep us posted on your fish.

I'm just going to quote this because it was pretty much what I was going to say for myself.

LFS just aren't to be trusted when it comes to doing water tests or advice... from anything to they just don't care to they just don't know. And if you must get your water tested at a store, you must ask them for exact numbers. What they THINK is safe, just isn't many times. If we have actual numbers, we can tell you whether it really is.

I wanted to ask what kind of goldfish this is. Sometimes, depending on the body type, floating is more predominant and/or genetic. Also, how often and how much do you feed? That can make a difference in floating.

Water changes need to happen every week at about 50% for a cycled tank, and for an uncycled tank, possibly every day. As you've only had your tank one month, I'd say it's still cycling which says you need to be doing daily water changes at about 50%. I think you'll find that a much more rigorous water change policy, with daily testing strongly advised, will produce much more positive results and a healthier looking fish.

thanks for your help. I just did another water change, even tho I did one last night. To look at her now you would think she is dead. She is floating at the top on her side. Then your see she is slowing breathing. I don't know if a fish can turn things around at this point or if I should stop her suffering.

She was just called an ornamental goldfish. She is small. her body is 1 1/2 to 2 " long with another 1/2 inch tail. Her coloring is beautiful. White body with orange and black markings. Her awesome tail is all orange and the edges are black.

She is in my office with me and took no time at all to see me and wiggle to the glass. She learned when I tapped on the glass it was time to eat, and came running like a puppy.

Should I stop this now? or let her go on her own