Horatio Might Be Dying...

Lady_Dodecagon

My mom called me just a little while ago when I went on my lunch break. My pretty little red betta Horatio might not be with me much longer. He had faded to a pink color in his age, but she said he was looking very washed out and pale, and he was nestled deep into the plants and did not want to come out, even for food. She took him out of the tank and placed him in a container of fresh water incase the chemistry had taken a bad swing, but he did not show any improvement so I told her to put him back into the tank, that way he could pass in his home in his favorite spot if that is what he desired.

I'll let you guys know what happens as I find out.

:(:cry1

No more news yet, so I am assuming he is still nestled into his bushes. Mom loves Horatio as much or more than I do, so it will be tough for both of us if we lose him.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Horatio is laying kinda on his side at the bottom of the tank, his scales are starting to pinecone. Is he going dropsy on me, or has his kidneys shut down in preparation for his departure from this world?

5.5 gallon tank, running about 3 years, 100% water changes about every two weeks. Latest test results were good, I can't find the data right now tho. I'm kinda frantic.... It's a whispter 5 (i think) filter, he is the only fish in the tank. Water additives are prime and start right, he eats BettaMin flakes in the morning and freeze dried bloodworms at night. As I said, he is laying at the bottom kinda on his side and he is starting to pinecone.

Sorry if this is a wrong section, I know I am a helper and should know better, but like I said I am desperate.

What would the epsom salt dose be for a betta to help ease his discomfort?

Update: dosed the tank with epsom salts (1/8 tsp) and a Maracyn/Maracyn II combo.

I dissolved the pills in 10 tsp of water, then dosed accordingly. *crosses her fingers*

Yes I think bettas need half doses of meds, not sure but would imagine so. Oh poor duckie, fins crossed Michelle :heart

As of this morning there is no real noticeable change. I think the pine coning is a reaction to his kidneys shutting down, because this morning his mouth is starting to gape, and that usually means the gills are shutting down.

I think I have had Horatio for about three years now, so I have been expecting this. It still doesn't make it any easier...

I have his meds ready to treat the tank again tonight, just in case he makes it that long. I looked for a long time last night for betta dosing and found a ton on information. Apparantly you don't have to give them half doses, you just have to dissolve the meds in a small amount of water to make a very strong concentrate and then dose the tank accordingly. When I am not in such a panic running around with everything at once I will write up something and post it for everyone to see along with a few 'tricks' that I thought of last night, that way when someone needs the info they won't have to search.

Edit: I don't remember... Do I add more epsom salts tonight or will the salts I added last night be okay until water change?

Edited by Lady_D

Epsom is like regular salt I think. Stays till you remove it via water changes. He is quite old for a betta, i suppose it is old age?

That is what I was thinking about the salt, too but I wanted to make sure.

Yeah, I think he has lived a very long and happy life and it is just time for him to pass into that giant pond in the sky to swim with everyone else.

But, as long as he is with me I will do my best to fight it as if it was a dropsy onset because I would never forgive myself if I just let him suffer.

Update: Horatio died about an hour and a half ago. We buried him out in the flowerbed where all the other animals that pass from this life reside, and at least now he won't have to suffer any longer. I'll post up an obit with pics soon, and move this thread after that.