Adding More Oxygen, And Question About Decorating!

Guest Orandaa

Guest Orandaa

Im wondering how to add a little more oxygen to my tank.. Ive heard of rocks that can do that and stuff like that... I need some details on things like that.

Also, Im looking to re-do my tank a little. Im looking to make it more natural looking, like changing my gravel to a sandy colour, and adding some safe river rocks. Any ideas on how to make my tank look a little more natural will be greatly appriciated! Thanks a lott!

Besides the surface agitation caused by your filter, the main way of increasing dissolved oxygen in the tank is with an air pump. The pump delivers air to an air stone or other bubbler; here's a catalog: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl36...ewType=Category

River rocks and plants, and a lack of ornaments, will create a nice "natural" look. Check out the 'planted tank' forum for ideas.

Just remember that the finer the bubbles the bubblers/aerators create and the more they're circulated vs. going straight up, the better the oxygenation your tank will get.

As far as a natural decor, how about taking a look at pictures of outdoor environments, find one you like and try to recreate it. That's what I did. Mine is a recreation of a bamboo jungle. Yes, decorations, especially the loudly colored ones, aren't appropriate as well as plants in wild colors like pink and blue.

Here's a site that has, what I think is a fabulous big rock and gravel design and may be exactly what you're thinking of, but it's flash and won't let me copy the pic itself, so I can only attach a link to the website. Look under Gallery, Freshwater Aquariums (the first one), and it's picture number 6.

Aquarium Design Group

I had some little air stones, and even some really long air stones and they were good. But a couple weeks ago I bought some bubble walls and I LOVE them... They have suction cups so you can put them on your tank wherever. I've been placing mine about 2 inches above the bottom of the tank. Since my fish are still on the smaller side, I noticed that giving them that little bit of room at the bottom without having to deal with the current from the bubbles seems to help give them a place to relax more. I love the ones I got because the bubbles that come out are super tiny.. I got mine at ccccc. I started out just using them on the larger tanks and now I have them for the smaller tanks as well.

As for adding more oxygen, air stones are the way to go. Smaller ones like these: IMG_0958.jpgwandblueAS.jpg

Or longer bubble 'walls' like the one on the right side of this tank: IMG_2056.jpg

The bubble walls are nice just because they give a finer mist of bubbles, and they have suction cups.

Making a tank look natural: Like what Lynda441 said, no neon-colored, glow-in-the-dark anything. Go with natural colors: greens, tans, browns, etc. Stick with rocks, large gravel, and plants as your decorations, not buildings or sharks holding signs that say "No Fishing", LOL. Also, live plants are better, if you can.

Good luck, and can't wait to see pictures of your natural tank! :)

Guest Orandaa

Thanks a lot everyone! I got an airstone but the pump is so loud :( I might take it back... I got all white gravel and some bigger plants so my tank is coming along, it's not finished yet but when it is I'll certainly post some pictures :D

Thanks a lot everyone! I got an airstone but the pump is so loud :( I might take it back... I got all white gravel and some bigger plants so my tank is coming along, it's not finished yet but when it is I'll certainly post some pictures :D

Because food, poo and beneficial bacteria collect in the gravel, you may very well find your white gravel turning brown. Of course, make sure that you vacuum out the food and poo and all ammonia creating debris, but don't scrub that white gravel in an attempt to keep it clean or you will be losing your beneficial bacteria. Just look at it as brown is a natural color. Can't wait to see pics!

Oh! sometimes the air pump is loud because it's vibrating on the table or whatever you have it sitting on. Try putting a piece of carpet under it or something that will absorb the sound and see if that help before you take it back.

Edited by lynda441