Bought One Trapdoor Snail

Desiree

Okay, so the other day I purchased one fairly large Trapdoor Snail. This was the same day I purchased my fish, and previous to that day, my tank was uninhabited. Anyway, today while doing a water change, I stumbled across three more snails, teeny tiny little baby snails. They are about the size of my pinky finger nail and they appear to be Trapdoor snails as well.

I'm curious, was my snail pregnant? Are they livebearers? I made sure the bags my fish and snail came home in were not harboring any stow aways, so I'm kinda baffled by this situation.

Okay, so the other day I purchased one fairly large Trapdoor Snail. This was the same day I purchased my fish, and previous to that day, my tank was uninhabited. Anyway, today while doing a water change, I stumbled across three more snails, teeny tiny little baby snails. They are about the size of my pinky finger nail and they appear to be Trapdoor snails as well.

I'm curious, was my snail pregnant? Are they livebearers? I made sure the bags my fish and snail came home in were not harboring any stow aways, so I'm kinda baffled by this situation.

Yes it was, and yes they are. Congradulations.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my baby snails. They are alive and well, all six of them. Unfortunately, I don't have room for them in my tank once they mature. So, I talked to the manager at the LFS where I purchased my snail and he was quite pleasant and said that, once they reach a larger size that I can bring them back to him for store credit. He knows I know my stuff (atleast most the time) and said that he was looking forward to having a new "supplier". Hahah! Let's hope I'm not his new supplier, as I don't want a constant flux of baby snails in my tank.

So, I've never been through this before... How long will it take before the snails get bigger. They have surely doubled in size, and are quite cute! I'm thinking, I can give them back to the store once they reach about the size of a quarter. Any thoughts?

Also, is there anything I can do to ensure they grow quickly and healthy? My water conditions are stable, high PH, decent GH/KH. There's a plethora of (brown) algae, and fish food which they are eating. Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread, but figured, why not. Here's a picture of my little snail family. There are nine babies, totalling ten snails in all (some not pictured). :)

babies.jpg

• 3 weeks later...