I Want Opinions On The Quality Of One Of My Fish

Okay, so my mom bought me a Ryukin, Moonbeam, when she was here in Sept. Moonbeam has about tripled in size since then (she was tiny) and I was just curious about what people think of her now and what she might become. She is about 2 1/2 inches in length now. So, still a bit of a baby. She's done a lot of growing (about 3/4 inch) in the past 3 weeks due to a never ending snack of green algae, she's crazy for the stuff. Her coloring is more red than this, I've been having exposure issues with my camera. I got her for $4, so it's interesting to know how she fairs to "good" quality since all my fish are cheap pet store fish.

100_6306.jpg

Oh and for anyone interested in Mars...he's now gone from white with orange fins to.... ALL white. He finally lost all the orange so he went from black to white in 3 years...brat. Oh and Sparky is now almost as big as Mars.

Guest Isilme

I don't know anything about show-qualities a fish should have, but I definitely :heart this fish. The colour pattern is sooooo nice. White body and orange fins, just really cute!

Dor me, it doens't matter what a fish cost, I love him just the same :)

Very nice Ryukin! Every Ryukin I have purchased in the past for low prices never developed such a nice high back. I think your Ryukin is beautiful and is going to grow into a very nice, deep bodied fish!!! :)

It has a high hump and up right dorsal fin at this age. Hope it will develop into a good quality one in future. My only concern is the eyes. For me, it looks like pretty big and I am concern about stunt. But if it grows 3/4" in 3 weeks then you shouldn't worry about it.

Beautiful fish overall and hope you can develop it into a jumbo Ryukin.

thanks everyone. One thing I was worried about was if she was stunted too because she never grew much. Then she had the growth spurt. I'm really happy I'll be getting a larger tank for them in a month. She is beautiful and I adore her, but it's always nice to get a good deal on a fish once you start knowing more about the breeds and seeing the beauties they can grow into. I recently started feeding them Hikari Gold since I can actually find it in my town now, I'm thinking that may be the cause for the growth spurt because Sparky has grown a ton too. Right now they are all eating the green algae on the sides of the tank.

Earth!Mother she is a little fatty. Between her growth spurt and her belly she's probably doubled in size compared to what she was. None of the others are getting fat, except for her.

small_ranchu, as they get older can they stop developing a hump? Hers has grown a bit so far. Also, is there anything I can do to help her in the development. I know with wens you can feed them special food for wen growth.

This is what I found for show quality ryukin standards:

Ideal Characteristics of Ryukin

The body is identical to a fantail except that it is very deep. It has a defined head and snout, with the hump rising sharply and dramatically right behind the head.

The body is very deep, and it is the only goldfish breed which has a body that may be deeper (taller) than it is long. Higher humps are more desirable and seem to be much more common nowadays, even in chain stores.

The head should be distinct from the body and snouted (but smooth), without any wen or nasal bouquets.

Striking red and white matte varieties are common now Traditional Ryukin fins are similar to a Fantail, being stiff and erect. Ribbontail, Fringetail, and Butterfly tail variants exist as well.

A curved mohawk-like shape to the dorsal (like the crest on a Roman Soldier's helmet) is desirable. Tall dorsal fins which accentuate the hump are also desirable.

Red, White, and mottled red/white patterns are the dominant colors in this breed, but black/"blue", chocolate, and calico versions have also been bred as well. There is a blackish-copper colored variant sometimes referred to as "green".

Edited by lynda441

That is a cute ryukin, I wish I could have him. I used to have one, several years ago, that had a similar body shape, except the dark orange went from just behind the eyes, along the back and into the tailfins.

I think growing of hump is totally depend on gene. To help her develop into the full size, it is depending on several factors. We can control some factors such as space, water quality and type of food. Fish should have a lot of space at least 20+ g per fish. Especially for Ryukin, I have seen discussion about the need of space is 500 g per fish. But I am not sure it is 100% sure though. I assume you know how to take care of water. 80% water change every week. and give it good food such as Hakari Lionhead, Progold, Pea, Duckweed and frozen bloodworm. One more thing, DON'T OVERFEED, Ryukin tends to develop SBD easily.

Good luck and show your progress..