Babies Like Brine Shrimp

lantern567

Here's one of the little one-inch fry. They really have taken to the baby brine shrimp now.

img_BabyFish20080709.jpg

They've figured out what the feeding dish is all about. It's a little terra cotta dish no larger than 3 inches across, and I've seen 5 of them in there at once, their little tails in the air, eating furiously. What I've been doing is holding the brine shrimp cube under water in the dish until it melts, so the shrimp stay in the dish - and the larger ones nibble on my arm while it's in the tank. Their parents are nibbly fishes, too.

They aren't schooling yet, but they do swim in proximity to one another. Now that they are larger and they aren't hiding in the plants, I can count 12 in the tank. One looks particularly white, maybe progeny of my white fish "Ghost?" It is fun to watch them develop.

Guest spawn

very nice.

My baby fish love brineshrimp, finding them easier to get in their mouths than bloodworm (its kind of amusing to see a red tongue sticking out of their mouths).

I can't seem to buy it frozen near me. Only one pet shop sells it, and then only the live variety. [but I find that relaxing watching the fish chase them around the tank]

As for baby brineshrimp, I'm generating live batches every day or so for my other broods. They love them too. The only downside for me is worrying about accidentally getting shell casings into the mix and damaging my babies.

Edited by spawn

If I ever end up with more fry, I definitely want to try raising the brine shrimp. When I first found them and tried to feed them, they would spit out the brine shrimp, and weren't interested in egg yolk. I wonder if in those first weeks they were more interested in the algae. Any thoughts? Later they came to love the brine shrimp, and though I never tried the egg yolk again, I'll bet they would have wolfed that down, too.

At this point, the little ones have actually eaten some regular sized frozen brine shrimp! They've been eating regular fish food, too, once it's softened. They are growing huger and huger by the day. My first four babies are now bigger than my first little feeder fish was when I got him last year. They still haven't turned color, though their fat little bellies seem to be white. I think I need to stop feeding them so much.

They are starting to school, and it's adorable to watch. This morning, when I went in to greet them, about a half dozen went up to the glass, with that :feedme look in their eyes.

I am thinking that they will go into the pond in a week or so. I had been waiting until they would school, and also would associate me with food. They seem to think that the plump pink arm that puts food into their dish is benevolent.

That is good to know about the egg yolk. I have a funny feeling there are more fry in my future, and next time I don't want them to catch me by surprise! :krazy: