Homemade Frozen Food

Desiree

Hello everyone! Well, I have been reading alot about making gel foods and I just love the idea. That is, minus the gelatin. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried making frozen food with similar ingredients like gel food? I was thinking I could blend some Pro-Gold, Spirulina Flakes and Brine Shrimp with some peas, bananas, oranges and Spinach or Kale; then set them in small ice cube trays to freeze. I know when I put frozen Brine Shrimp in my tank, my fish go nuts for it and it falls apart fairly quickly so I imagine this would be similar. Any thoughts? :)

Joy and I keep talking about making a big batch of gel-food. It sounds like a great idea. I think it would behave similar to the baby brine shrimp cubes.

I think your recipe sounds delicious. Why would you leave out the gelatin?

Why would you leave out the gelatin?

Well, I'm vegan. And, while I don't mind feeding my fish meat, or my cat for that matter :)) because it is a necessary part of their diet, I can't rationalize the use of gelatin, when it is not really an implicit part of their diet. There are vegan alternatives to gelatin, I think it's called agar agar, but I'm not sure if it would be safe for the fish. :)

Edited by Desiree

If it's the agar they use in labs (petri dishes), it should be safe for the fish, it's made from seaweed :)

Let us know if you do this and it works, I'm all for cutting out animal products when I can!

If it's the agar they use in labs (petri dishes), it should be safe for the fish, it's made from seaweed :)

You're right! I completely forgot it's made of seaweed... Hahah! All the more reason to try it. Looks like I need to make a trip to the co-op! Now I'm excited! I will try this and keep everyone posted! :)

Now I like this option! I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I too have questioned filling those little goldy bellies with gelatin. A gelatin that's made from seaweed is like the absolute perfect solution! A gel that's good for them and that they love naturally. One, let us know how this works, and two, I'm gonna look into getting some myself! Cooooolllll......

Agar agar gelling agent

Looks like it's used a lot in asian foods, so checking out asian food stores also might be a place to find it!

Edited by lynda441

I am so excited about this! I can't believe I didn't think about this sooner. For anyone interested, Agar Agar can be found at any natural food store like Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and as mentioned most Asian groceries. Can't wait! I'm going to try to put this together tonight. I have 2 young ranchu, so I want to make sure there is adequate protein for wen growth, but also sufficient fiber for proper digestion, and vitamin C for increased immunity of course ;) .

Here's my ingredient list so far:

Spinach

Peas

Oranges

Kiwi

Brine Shrimp

Salad Supreme

ProGold

Garlic (for good measure)

Any other ideas? I've never done this before, so it will be a lesson of trial and error... I was going to add Bananas but recently read they are too high in sugar for fish on a regular basis...

Oh, and Lynda, I LOVE your idea of using a Garlic Press for gel food. What an awesome idea! Sounds like a shoe in for Tip of the Month!!! :)

Okay, I just finished mixing up my gel food wih agar agar. I used the packets by a company called Eden. First, let me say... this stuff isn't cheap. To get the right consistency, it took the whole packet, for a little over 1 cup of food. Each packet cost a little over $6.00. Ouch! But, I imagine this stuff will last a while. I must say, I can't stomach the smell of making this food. I live in a studio apartment and my whole home smells reminiscent of San Francisco's Fisherman's Warf. :ill Anyway, I will post results once the food is done setting. :)

Okay, it set really quickly! I just left it on the counter and within a few minutes it was completely gelled. I would recommend maybe not using an entire packet of agar agar. But, I tested it out and my fish LOVE it. I gave them three little pieces and they are currently working as a team to suck one of the pieces out from between two rocks. I have never seen them this um, determined before. It's hilarious! Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that it worked! :) Here's what I used:

10 large leaves of Spinach

1/2 cup Peas

1/2 Orange

1/2 Peach

3 Hikari Brine Shrimp cubes

2 TBS Salad Supreme

3 TBS ProGold

1 clove Garlic

1 cup water

11 TBS Agar agar

This mixture was blended and boiled, then poured into a 10x15 inch cookie sheet to cool. :)

That's great news!! You're right, it will last a long time so the cost isn't that bad. It's also good to know that it set so well...I have some gel food disasters in the past when the geletin didnt set correctly :P

This is great news! And your discovery of agar I think is an equally viable shoe-in for tip of the month! It figures that I still have a whole box of gelatin, but as soon as it's gone I'm going to try the agar.