Ahhhh Tailrot

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? Was around 15 - 20, yesterday before the water change. I did a 50% when I saw that.

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? Chlor - 0, KH - somewhere around 80, PH - Between 7.2 and 7.6, looked closer to the 7.6 blue LOL

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) Strips for KH (Jungle) and chloramines, API drops for all else

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 40 gallons, 9 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? 2 emperor 280's

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Since Athena's tail rot/fungus?! has been here it's been daily to every other day. Varies between 25% and 50%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 fish. Echo and Athena. Athena's kinda big now, but Echo's much smaller than her still

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Salted to .1% (thinking about going .3% again), TopFin water conditioner, TopFin water dechlorinator

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Salt!

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? Nope

[*]What do you feed your fish? Frozen Bloodworms, Frozen Brine, Orange, Pineapple, Hikari pellets - more orange lately for the vitamin C

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? She has frayed fins with white rims on them, they've been like this for about two weeks now, but recently developed a hole at the tip.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..? She's acting like her normal self.

I feel so bad for her, she's got that frayed tail...looks jagged, not too bad, but when it was looking great since the last time she had tailrot, she go it again. I left for about a week and during that time they were fed every other day, no water changes. I came back and her tail was all jagged like this. Poor baby, Echo has no problems. His little fins are perfect as can be, and the two are always touching/brushing around each other. Athena did have two fuzzspots on the very edge of her tail, but they left after the .3% salting last week, which was brought down to around .1% this week. I just don't think I'm doing enough for her. :krazy:

• Admin

I think the salt might be eating at her fins hun, this can happen and its call salt creep :(

What I would do is a small water change dont add salt, then make sure you have an airstone in there and if you have it now add some Melafix to the water.

Why were we adding so much salt? just wondering hun :D

O____O

I'll get on that water change now! There's one airwall in the back, we're going to a store to get more today, because I don't think that's enough. When the fuzz started showing up I read that salt can cure that, and I'm pretty sure the last time she was sick with fin rot was salt and lots of water changes that fixed her problem. Thank you, Koko!

Well fuzz can be helped by salt but to much to long will make the tail shred :( I have had that with Guppies :(

I didn't know about this, which is why I'm here! Always learning something new. But, it makes sense. Salt softens. So, it would follow that salting for too long would soften to the point that the fin would just disintegrate. Good to know!

Update: went to the store, bought a -small- bottle of Melafix, 4 oz, so it should be good for at least this treatment time. ALSO, bought this cool bubble disk, a new pump, and another bubble wall. I have one more outlet for a bubble wall, so i'll be going back for another disk probably. Those things are so cool. O____o! Also did the water change, about 25%, then added the melafix...I didnt take the carbon out...the bottle said it wasn't completely necessary to do so...just, "if possible". :unsure:

I'll update you on Athena's condition, Koko. Thanks for the advice. [:

Edited by Earth!Mother