Are Occasional Gulps At The Top Normal?

Guest trebor

Guest trebor

Hi,

I'm a bit of a newbie to goldies, but not to fish keeping. I have been keeping tropicals for a few years, (I also have a 2 gal planted betta tank and a 90 gal planted discus community tank.)

I have recently set up a 30 gal tank with an internal filter - rated for 75litres, along with an eheim 2213 canister (so plenty of filtration and lots of water movement. I also have an airstone just in case.

My fantail Fred seems very happy but occassionally takes a gulp at the top of the tank. Particularly when he's begging for food.

I just added two small ranchus (Felix and Millie) and and they don't hang at the top or anything...

Is this OK?

I know that you are supposed to avoid them eating at the top and gulping in air...

Fred's in very good health, no flashing or sustained gulping so I don't think its flukes... :idont

I'm keen to hear others experiences.

Is the tank cycled? Only tropicals are really a whooooole different ballgame to goldfish and basically produce about 100 x more ammonia than a tropical fish so really are a lot higher maintenance fish.

If the tank is well cycled and pH is stable, then an occasional gulping (providing there is also plenty of dissolved oxygen) may just mean you need to vary his diet. Fresh veggies, peas etc. Commercial fish food alone is not recommended for goldfish.

One of our goldies (Gigi, for those who are interested) used to do it a lot. She more or less stopped doing it once we changes from feeding them flakes to feeding them pellets, although she still does it every so often (despite good water conditions).

Guest trebor
One of our goldies (Gigi, for those who are interested) used to do it a lot. She more or less stopped doing it once we changes from feeding them flakes to feeding them pellets, although she still does it every so often (despite good water conditions).

That's interesting, I have been feeding him flake, but I am now adding pellets and fresh fruit and veg to his diet. I plan to make some gel food on the weekend.

Is the tank cycled? Only tropicals are really a whooooole different ballgame to goldfish and basically produce about 100 x more ammonia than a tropical fish so really are a lot higher maintenance fish.

Yes the tank is cycled... I know what you mean about the amonia, it took a good few weeks and plenty of water changes to get it under control.... Fred was a rescue fish, someone was threatening to flush him :wa so I had to cycle the tank with him :( little did I know that this would lead to a new obsession with goldies (have I mentioned that I am in love with my new Ranchus and am already fantasing about a big ranchu only tank... :idea )

The tank is now cycled so I don't think it's that.

I've given them some peas tonight which they all greedily ate... so I'll vary the food and see it the gulping stops. Maybe if he stops associating food with floating matter he'll stop begging at the top...

R

Guest Isilme

One of my goldfish also sometimes takes one or two gulps at the surface. I now feed them food that sinks, but I used to feed them floating food. Maybe she just wants to check if there if no floating food coming, because she is very healty, big and active.

Yes, do try sinking food. Associating food with the surface is not a good habit for fish. Over time it can cause the fish to have digestion problems.

One of my fish has the same problem and worse. He sometimes just hang at the top gulping because all the fish come up to the surface whenever I approaching to the tank to feed them. So they sometimes get the food at the surface as I drop the food into the tank even I feed them progold that is sinking like a piece of stone. But I also feed them hikari frozen bloodworm cubes where they normally float at the surface of the water.

So I think my fish associates the water surface with food. Hopefully this behavior is not going to create any problems for the fish later on.

Fred was a rescue fish, someone was threatening to flush him :wa so I had to cycle the tank with him :( little did I know that this would lead to a new obsession with goldies (have I mentioned that I am in love with my new Ranchus and am already fantasing about a big ranchu only tank... :idea )

Drugs, alcohol.... :alc goldfish... :gfish: junkies... we're all junkies... :thud next thing you know there will be goldfish anonymous... oh, and MAG... mothers against goldfish! Hi, my name is Lynda and I'm a goldfishaholic. :crazy:

next thing you know there will be goldfish anonymous...

Erm, Lynda, right now you're on the best Goldfish Anonymous forum there is ;):rofl .