Sign in to follow this  
amynmitchell

Ideas For Cleaner Tank

Hi all,

I'm about to lose my computer for a few days, so sorry if I don't respond right away, but I wanted to get some ideas out there for this.

I am having a sick fish emergency in the 911, and due to this I removed all of my gravel. I have a ten gallon tank that I inherited with two 1 and 1/2 inch fancies and being that it is overstocked i want to keep it as clean as possible, especially with the dropsy that is presenting itself. I'm hopfully going to be able to get another tank in a few months.

I have one sword plant (now potted with gravel in a glass container), gravel, and five plastic plants and a large airstone. I really like the look of the gravel or soemthing on the bottom to hold my plants in place, but I want to keep my water quality as high as possible. And my husband hates the bare bottom look.

Is there a way to have gravel and do this? What if I rinsed the gravel off once a week? My other thought was to create a floor with plexi glass, large rocks and aquarium sealant. I could actually glue the plastic plants into this and then I would just need to pick it up to clean under it. My live plant could still be potted. Would this work? Is this a feasible idea? I could also just reuse this in my new tank as a section.

My first goal is to get my fish healthy and then I want to rethink this tank until I get a new one in a few months.

Thanks everyone!

I understand what you mean about wanting to keep the gravel. Before I went barebottom, I had a single layer of small/medium sized river rocks. That way the bare glass wasn't showing, but I wasn't getting that scum build up that I did with gravel..no matter how often I tried to clean it.

The plexiglass idea is very creative :) I don't know if it wold look good or not, as I've never seen it done! What if you put large river rocks on the bottom and used sealant to attach your plants to those? You could glue a rock or two to each plant, just to keep it anchored.

A number of years ago, I got large pieces of flat (1/4 inch thick or so) quartz rock. I stacked these in a creative manner, holding plants in between the layers and glued to various places. These rocks were lifted at each cleaning so that no debris stayed under them.

It was a HUGE pain to remove and restack the rocks each time. Debris that would have normally been swept up in the currents and devoured by the filter stuck out in the most distressing ways making it look nasty and messy. I hated it.

Instead I went with an occasional large stone and group of plants.

I hope you can figure ou what works for you.

:)

Thanks! I like the large river rocks idea and glueing the plants. I want to have live plants as well. Do I need soil or can I just do what I did and pot it in a containter with gravel?

I also read about using very thin slate to lay a floor on the bottom, but I really like the natural look so I think I'm going to hunt for large river rocks that I can take out and clean easily.

I would just add gravel into the pots for the live plants. Some people have made some really neat potted plants in the tank. One idea I like is the small glass containers and then add marbles to it, makes it look really neat :D

Thanks, Koko. I like that look, too and I really want live plants in there.

Guest trebor

Instead of loosing the gravel, what about adding some nutrient sponge plants like Hygrophilla (aka Wisteria or water sprite), its extremely fast growing and sucks up amonia and nitrates. I use it whenever I cycle a planted tank.. It's also a must have for betta tanks.

HTH

R

I like that idea:) Especially, if my problem is that my tank has crashed and is re-cycling. Thanks:)

i just thought I would let everyone know what I decided on. I bought a Water Sprite and I have that in one corner in some small stones and my sword plant is in the other corner with small stones. I did a single layer with large river rock on the rest of the tank. And I glued my plants to a collection of other river rock so that they don't need buried and I can just pick them up in cleaning. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sounds good, you should post a pic ;)

I'm still in awe of your creativity of the plexi glass idea! :clapping: quick ?: where did you get the Water Sprite from? I'm having a hard time finding aquatic plants in my area. :(

Those of you who are talking about gluing plants to rocks... I assume you are talking about plastic plants, right? If not, how does one glue a live plant to a rock?

--Roc

I like that idea:) Especially, if my problem is that my tank has crashed and is re-cycling. Thanks:)

I'm on drugs... and off topic!, but all this time I've been responding to your threads, etc., I never noticed you were in LA! Where in LA are you?!