Bio Wheel

Guest arielsfriend

Guest arielsfriend

We have an Eclipse 5 gal with a bio wheel filter. We have a 1 in. fantail living it it until we can get a bigger tank. Should we add a bubble wall/stone to it or will the fish get enough oxygen from the bio wheel?

Angie

Many fish do alright in tanks without extra aeration, but I always suggest people provide extra aeration for their goldie tanks. All of my tanks have bubblewalls and/or airstones, and I think if the people that don't use them tested their O2, they soon would be! Goldfish have a high oxygen demand, and water has a pretty low oxygen saturation rate. HOB filters that case a small ripple on the water's surface don't help significantly with gas exchange, so if you can I would definitely suggest adding an airstone. It'll help with aerating the water, and your fish will probably enjoy the current and playing in the bubbles.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got penguin or emporer filters on all my tanks and the fish

are doing just fine. If your fish start to bunch up or start going

with the current then you might need to slow it down.

I hae aPenguin 330 and a powerhead in my 55 gal..the fish seem to enjoy the current.. they swim into it, kind of play and drift with i too...unless it's stopping them from reaching the oppostite end of the tank you'l be ok

:) I agree that goldies love lots of current and bubbles.

On my 20 gallon tank, I have two hang on back filters and a long bubble wall. The filters are a Whisper 30 and a Penquin 125 with a bio-wheel. The two goldies in that tank are very happy and love to play in the bubbles.

:hi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest caro0734

i have the same tank as you. i decided to get an air wand to help out. my goldfish Pebbles couldn't be happier. she lets the bubbles drag her up and then swims down against the current. it's funny as22, she just doesn't get tired of doing it. :rofl i really recommend getting one!

Archived