Very Sick Oranda Please Help

Guest DAVK

DAVK, I wonder if you have considered getting a bottle of Prime. Prime will neutralize ammonia, nitrites and nitrates for 24 hours. It doesn't mess with your cycle, and along with the large water changes, it may give you some breathing room for the meds to work.

I'd like to see what Imogen thinks about this, but it seems like it might work while the water changes and extra filter floss work on the nitrates.

Trinket- thats a great suggestion regarding changing the filter floss, I did'nt think of that. I have been doing my water changes daily and testing the water perams after, my nitrates are around 0-5ppm but by the end of the day they are around 20ppm. Have not let them get above 20ppm since this whole ordeal started. Thanks

vickielm- I think that you are right by suggesting using the prime. I use it with all my water changes along with stress coat. The only thing that is tricky is that the bottle says that you might not see any changes in your water perams when you test it, not sure how you are suppose to know if it is working. Thanks-

luvbender- thanks for the kind wishes, we need all the help we can get.

I just want you to know that I am really pulling for you guys. He is such a handsome fish. I really can't help much, but one thought I had is that it almost looked like he might have swallowed a peice of gravel that he couldn't pass. Is this possible? Is there smaller sized gravel in your tank?

Just a thought, but keep in mind it comes from a total newbie. I hope he gets well soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing. It always bothers me when someone's fish is very ill, then you don't hear from them...always makes me fear the worst. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, sorry for not getting back to anyone. After fighting for over a month Todd ended up passing away a couple of weeks ago. He was so sick for so long it was almost a relief for me to know that he is no longer suffering. I think I just needed a little time to deal with the loss before I broke the news to anyone. Todd was my first and only goldfish, he had a very funny clown like personality and was very social with anyone that was around the tank. I think at this point I am going to take some time off before I get another fish, after changing 50 gals of water daily for over a month and all the trips to the pet store for medication, I need a little break. Thanks to all for your help and kind thoughts. This forum is such a great resource for people who care about their pets and it is nice to know so many people are willing to give their time, knowledge, and support to total strangers. Count on me to be back sometime soon with plenty of questions for ya. Thanks again, Dave-