Fry Tail Development

ITHURTZ

As the fry get older I can see their tails. Some are clearly fantails, while others still look like regular fish tails. My calico which I beleive is the male, his tail is "one" at the top but turns into 2 at the bottom. (one fin though) while the oranda has "2" tails. I dont know if its a chance they aint fantails, or just different development?

So far from what I have observed from my own fry, their tails will remain fused or not as they are whent hey develop enough for you to see them. I have not yet had a fish that started with a fused tail and later unfused.

The tail you are describing - joined at the top and open at the bottom.... looking like a Y ....is commonly called a "Tripod" tail. It used to be considered a mite more acceptable in the past, but now, for show fish, is a very LARGE fault if not a disqualification.

Tail abberations are common - fry within a single spawning will have a very wide range of body types. You may see single tails, tripod tails, tails that have one side large and the other tiny, tails that are spread out flat instead of upright. That is where culling and selection comes in.

A tripod tailed fish can ba a BEAUTIFUL fish, though. So, depending on what you wish the fish to do/be, you may have no reason to worry about the tail conformities.

Generally, what you see is what you get. A fused tail will not unfuse. A bump in the back will only get more noticeable as the fish grows. Most "abnormalities" only become more pronounced as the fish grow. Do not grow the fry out hoping that they will conform with age. They will not. Their colors will change. Their body types will not.

:)

One of my fish (see the avatar :D ) has such a tripod tail and quite unique coloration :painting:

She's a little cutie :wub:

It really depends on what you like :D

My boyfriend (Erinaceus/Alain) has a post about her and her tail in the video section. I do not know how to do that linkthingy :unsure:

Edited by Quasi

I do not know how it happened but somehow the post above is empty. The PC did a bit weird and somehow their is an empty post. I tried to edit it, but it didn't let me.

I would be very grateful if someone could fix it. :unsure:

Well imo a singe tailed fancy would be awesome! Iv never seen such a thing, so now I am hoping it will be. Other than a few with the single tail they all look good, no crooks, bends or anything, just nice fat bellies growing! Iv always joked in my mind about having a regular goldfish with a oranda head :D