Could Pepper Have Had Svc?!

Acupunk

I have been reading around, trying to get a handle on what might have caused Pepper's death (her decline is described here: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...0805&st=40).

I came across this:

"Clinical signs of SVC are often non-specific and may include darkening of the skin, exophthalmia (pop-eye), ascites (dropsy), pale gills, hemorrhages in the gills, skin, and eye, and a protruding vent with a thick mucoid (white to yellowish) fecal cast. Behaviorally, infected fish may appear lethargic, exhibit decreased respiration rate, and loss of equilibrium. Moribund fish have been reported to lie on their sides, often on the bottom of the tank, and when startled swim up but then return to the bottom."

This sounds distressingly similar to Pepper's symptoms! And I also read reports of fish from Jackie Chan's Fish Farm (where Tommy's fish come from) testing positive this spring for SVC. Now I am freaked! Apparently if a fish tests positive for SVC, they strongly urge you to destroy all other fish it came into contact with.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this or additional knowledge of SVC?

....I have heard of this ..but don't know much of it ..all the same symptoms for a lot of different things, it is soooo hard to diagnose ...I wonder with how contagious they say it is ,if your fish that came with Pepper would show symptoms by now? .I hope someone can help you Kristen :heart ...

Seems to me that the only way you'd know for sure is to have Pepper tested for the virus. If you still have her.

Kristen, I seem to remember that Peppers decline was rather rapid. The first few weeks she seemed very well and then only in the last few days did she begin to suddenly go downhill. Am I wrong? Only systemic viral diseases usually take some time to develop and your UV steriliiser would surely have controlled multiplication of any she brought in before they reached danger levels. Virus in small numbers are not a threat, again this is where viral diseases are more rife in ponds where it is so much harder to keep viral count down.