Plants

Guest hoangphan

Guest hoangphan

Do you guys have any suggestions for plants in a 55 gallon aquarium? I'm looking for maybe some carpet plants and maybe a flowering plant. Is this even a good idea?

I'm not a plant expert nor have I done planted tanks, but I do know they take some very careful, detailed work. Here is a reference that was posted in the planted tanks section for a really good plant site. Koko's Planted Tank Forum - plant reference

I've kept plants with my goldies for about a year now. I just keep them in containers with gravel or rocks for planting, no fertilizer or anything. I have lacey java fern, they pick at it but never seem to do any damange. Now a few other varieties I've added....that was carnage!

My suggestion is look at the list and pick a couple of varities that do well with goldies, then see if you can find a few cheap plants to start with so if your fish do destroy them, it won't be too big of a deal.

Guest trebor

I keep planted tanks and i can tell you that it would be near impossible to have carpeting plants with Goldies. They'd just dig em up and spit em out.... Carpeting plants are one of the most difficult to grow. You need high light, CO2, and fertz... you can't have them with fish that dig...

Plants that might work are Vals, Hyrophila, java fern, swords, anubis, and possibly java moss (though I suspect this would be eaten rather quickly)

for flowering plants you could try lotus' but they are expensive and have very soft leaves so I think they would be eaten too...

HTH

R

Guest hoangphan

OK, so, I got brasilian micro sword and java moss. I just planted them, so in the morn, if they are all up rooted, then its a safe bet to return them huh?

OK, so, I got brasilian micro sword and java moss. I just planted them, so in the morn, if they are all up rooted, then its a safe bet to return them huh?

nah!! unless they cost alot...I plantd plants once :rolleyes: ...and it was rather entertaining to watch my goldies make a complete a$$ of me :D