Can Plants Help Cycle?

Guest Lorelei

Guest Lorelei

hi again, y'all!!

i was wondering about something. if i bought live plants, would it help my cycle at all? i *think* i read once that certain plants have some of the cycle bacteria in their roots... or something... i have a tendency to confuse info in my head lmao. but i'm just generally trying to find a way to introduce bacteria into my tank without seeding from another (i have no-one to get media from), and i'm trying as hard as i can to avoid buying biospira-type products because of the ridiculously pricey overnight refrigerated shipping. :'( if there is NOTHING i can do besides that, i will buckle down and do it. but. i'm just exploring all my options first!!

thanks, all!

-- Lorelei

I used the grow your own plant bulbs from nnnnnnn in my tropical tanks. It seemed that I never saw any ammonia or nitrite reading, maybe because the plants took in the ammonia and nitrite before the biofilter established. That was about 2 years ago, so I would imagine the tank has cycled by now.

It is true that some terrestrial plants such as beans and peas carry a bunch of nitrogen-fixing bacteria in their roots. However, these bacteria only convert atmospheric nitrogen into ammonia or nitrate. I don't know about aquatic plants.

I'm sure that introducing a plant into a tank will introduce SOME beneficial bacteria, but I don't know how much of a difference it will make in your cycle.