Hendra Virus!

svendenhowser

My friends veterinary clinic (the largest equine clinic in Queensland) has just had an outbreak of Hendra virus (related to, but not identical to Nipah virus of SE Asia). My friend is so scared right now, many of her co-workers have been labelled as "high exposure risks" and 2/3 people die (from past stats) from this virus :(

It's spread from bats (probably fruit bats, they aren't certain yet) to horses and from the horses exudates and bodily fluids to people.

We've just beat equine influenza and now this.. Well I guess on the upside they make a lot of money from the quaranteened horses they have to stable :P

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23992504-29277,00.html

I hope they will all be ok!

Edited by svendenhowser

All animals that become infected are euthenased, I haven't spoken with them this morning but yesterdays count was 3 and 39 quaranteened.

The fact that I haven't spoke to Katria today is enough for worry.. she's usually quick to update us on things!

• 2 weeks later...

Good grief. I would not be suprised if mosquitoes were in the mix, too. Those little buggers.....

That is really scary. Poor horses. Poor people. Horrid virus.

I really hope your friend is Ok.......... :unsure:

Yeah the 2 people infected are from her practice, they have been in and out of the Princess Alexandra Hospital for symptomatic control, theres nothing they can do to treat it at all. She can't tell us much because of insurance. Their practice (the equine part at least) is still quaranteened but they are opening a new equine facility at Beenleigh to keep practicing as it seems the Redlands one will be closed for a while..

I think my friend is a bit of a mess, all the people who are infected are co-workers and good friends (although she said it was none of her immediate family, both her parents are vets) and she has to deal with the ongoing quaranteen as well as opening the new facility and uni starts again tomorrow..

Not much we can do but wait and see.

Daryl our bats are fruit eating bats (flying foxes/fruit bats), they don't bite the horses, it's thought that feed supplies, grass, stuff thats in contact with the horses is contaminated with faeces and other fluids from the bats. So I guess that makes it hard to control because the bats are everywhere!

Edited by svendenhowser