Lots Of Red Streaks And Bottom Sitting

Shamu23

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? idk..i do alot of waterchanges and add prime every day..

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.8-8

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.8-8

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) for ph hagen drop test kit

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gallon qt, was filled with 5 gallons for maracyn 2 treatment but is now filled with 10 gallons

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s?no filter, just airstone and lotsa waterchanges, but now that my other fish is done qt i will move the filter to the 10g qt

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? at least every second day, 50% and I scoop out the fish poop and add 4 times dose of prime (every day)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1 fish, 3 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

[*]Any medications added to the tank? finished maracyn 2 a few days ago now praztastic and added salt today

[*]Add any new fish to the tank?he is the new fish

[*]What do you feed your fish? only jungle antibacterial food ever since I got him cuz he was showing signs of an infection which appears to be mostly gone now.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as

"grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating,ect..?

Lots of red streaks in all his fins. He had a few when I got him but they have suddenly increased alot. Sits on the bottom alot except when he sees someone then he swims around excited, he's eating just fine. Should I change anything about the treatments he's getting? Anything different? Or should I continue what Im using now?

Hi shamu I got your pm ...I'm gonna help as much as I can ..can you get the test results of you water ... and pics would be great :) ...finish the bac food since you started ..give him the 10g he will benifit with lots of water than less..and maybe back off on the prime I'm not sure if it will do damage to add so much all the time but lets be sure it isn't a factor ,only add it with waterchange to the correct dose...how much longer till the medicated food is done hun???...hitting him with so much stuff could have stressed him .

Edited by hi-d

thanks for the fast reply :)

the med food will be done in a few days, I will go test the water then do a waterchange and re-add the salt and also add the filter.

thanks for the fast reply :)

the med food will be done in a few days, I will go test the water then do a waterchange and re-add the salt and also add the filter.

not having the filter on while medicating is very risky if not deadly .....I'm sure after you get his water situated with lots of filtration he may come around ..you could of spiked all over the place causing lots of stress putting him back where he started ..so what I would do shamu give hime nothing but pristine water lots of o2. when he is done the food meds give him lots of foods packed with vitamin C like kiwis and oranges as treats ..I would even give him a few days without prazi and back down the salt to 0.1% and bring it slowly back up in a few days when he is a little stronger

I tested nitrite and ammonia. Nitrite was 0 and ammonia was 0.25 so I changed out 7 gallons (with a single 2 gallon bucket!!! lol cuz i didnt wanna contaminate my python :glare: ), added 1 dose of prime and put in the filter. Today is the last day of med food so i'll get him some good food tomorrow. The salt has been at 0.1% the whole time, when should I raise it? I was gonna buy some ammonia remover filter media stuff today but totally forgot about that lol so i'll just do the waterchanges. He's not bottom sitting anymore but he still has the red streaks.

Thanks for the help :)

Edited by Shamu23

I did a waterchange this morning and raised the salt to 0.2%. Poor thing seems so lonely :( u can see him swimming around slowly in one area then when someone comes over he gets super excited :)

Glad you added the filter and glad you're testing. I just wanted to add my two cents worth as far as water changes. My 10 gallon qt tank isn't cycled and from day to day, I will get ammonia readings of 0.25-1 ppm for just a little 2" gf 24 hours after the last 90% water change. I do daily 90% water changes. So, for a 3" fish in an unfiltered 10 gallon, with lots of meds that probably crashed any cycle you may have had, I should think that doing a 50% water change only every two days or so, is not nearly enough. Red streaks in the fins is many times just stress, so I would think that if you keep the water in really good shape, not with meds and additives, but just with lots of good, clean water, may relieve the stress to the point where the streaks will go away. My thoughts. :)

the red streaks are starting to go away :D yay! Im gonna try to get the ammo chips tomorrow cuz we might go away soon and if he's still in qt by then there'll b no one to do waterchanges for him.

I'm glad he is doing better :) ..are you going away long hun??..remember you cannot salt with ammolock (chips)it will dump things back into the tank

lol ur right, stupid me :rolleyes: ok I will do a 100% waterchange that'll get rid of the salt....should i keep some of the salted water in a bucket incase he doesnt take the change too well? I think he will, he's a tough little fishie but i guess i'll do that just incase. We're going away for 1 week. Still gotta get all the tanks cleaned :krazy: . Btw, he's acting great today and has a great appetite :D