Water Level Decreasing Daily

Guest Orandaa

Guest Orandaa

My tank doesn't leak.. but yet I find the water level goes down fast. I'll fill it up so the top of the water is behind the black top strip of my tank so you cant see it. And within a day I can see the top of the water, and within 2 days there's about a cm or 2 of space between the top of where the water was before and where it is now... is this just evaporation or what? Seems kinda odd because like I said I've looked all over and there's no leakage anywhere. thanks for the help!

Do you have a full hood on your tank? Something like this:aquarium-hood.gif

On my 10-gallon tank, I didn't have one of these for a long time, and I definitely had to add water more often.

Does your tank get a lot of sunlight? That could make water evaporate quicker... Or if you have a dehumidifier in the room, that could suck up water, too.

The warmer your tank water is, the faster it would evaporate....

Hope this gives you some ideas of why this is happening! :) Besides being a hassle, it shouldn't be something to worry much about.

Edited by Petperson04

Guest Orandaa

It does get a lot of sunlight, and it's around 33 degrees celcius around here this time of year so it's really warm. I've got a fan in here and it does have a full hood with 2 bulbs in it for lighting, so it may just be evaporation. I just never noticed the water decreasing so fast until recently, but it may have always been doing it. Thanks for the help!

Given the temperature, it's not surprising that your water level drops that fast :wacko::) . Even if you have a hood on your tank, something like 25C can be enough to cause some serious evaporation: at those times, the inside of our hood is litteraly 'dripping wet'.

I should take off that hood and turn off the overhead lights asap - that will reduce the temp a lot. 33 degrees C is 91 F :yikes !!! Really way too hot for goldfish, no wonder the water is evaporating.

Do you have extra aeration? Its essential to add an extra bubbler or more surface splash at this temperature.

Yes, 33 degrees ceclius is WAY WAY too hot for goldfish.... or any fish, for that matter. :o Goldfish do better around 20-24 degrees celcius.

Follow Trinket's advice :)

• Admin

Yep thats way to hot, my 80 gal tank will loose about and inch of water everyday cause its 80F here, but the lights are off, lid is open and a fan on in the room. I also have 3 filters and an airstone in there to keep it cool. The tank is 78F most of the time, sometimes it gets to 81F :yikes

Guest Orandaa

Oh, I didn't mean the water is 33 degrees! I mean it's been around 33 degrees outside here lately. I never turn the lights on in my room and I've got a fan (on max) that gets the whole room. I dont have a thermometre for my tank but Im going to get one, but just sticking my finger in I can tell it's not 33 degrees C thats for sure. I do however notice condensatation on the bottom side of the hood.