Aquarium Size, Quarantine, Etc.. ..?

OK..

So, I've mentioned before I'm interested in increasing tank size and getting another fish(specifically oranda(specifically panda oranda?(specifically female!))).

I've been talk with my mom about prices for stands and a larger, 29+ gallon tank and she just gives the usual "I'll talk with your father about it." reply.. which usually means I'll have to pine and press the issue until I can win a trip to a pet store(I have a few other pets that need things, too, she doesn't want to pay for.. I need a job..).

I was thinking..

Would it be alright to keep the new fish with my current Moor until I get a larger tank for them both? I intend to buy one of similar size to her(about 2" including tail) and she's currently alone in a 10 gallon and has been for months, now.

I've noticed the word quarantine, but does it also apply to newly bought fishes? Would I have to keep them separate for a while before introducing the new one to the current tank? (I assume to check for signs of abnormality or illness..)

Sorry if I'm flooding you guys with questions, but these things just POP into my head! :ignore

I know there are people on this site who overstock and have absolutely no problem with it - and it's an ongoing debate. I happen to think 10 gallons per fancy is the absolute minimum, even if temporarily. I tried to push the rule before, but it only ended in disaster for me. I'd think if you were a gallon or two off it would not matter as much and you could supplement that with daily water changes; but trying to half them just is not good news for either fish. I think you should hold off on getting more fish for now, and just worry about the ones you have. [: When you do get more room, then it will be time to adjust their living arrangements and adding new additions to the fish family.

WELL SAID!

I should have thought of that myself, thank you!

Ireallyneedtogetsomesleep. X___x

Now.. to get the quarantine question cleared.. :)

Edited by Sheep & Toeby

So, I've mentioned before I'm interested in increasing tank size and getting another fish(specifically oranda(specifically panda oranda?(specifically female!))).

I was thinking..

Would it be alright to keep the new fish with my current Moor until I get a larger tank for them both? I intend to buy one of similar size to her(about 2" including tail) and she's currently alone in a 10 gallon and has been for months, now.

The rule-of-thumb that's used here is '10 gallon per fancy and 20 gallon per common/comet'. Depending on the size of the fish and your filter size, you might be able to get away with a little less volume, but in most cases it's best to stick to the rule-of-thumb instead of risking (with some certainty) too much stress for your goldies. That being said and given the size of your current tank (which is fine for the goldie you have :) but rather tight for two gf :wacko: ), I think it might be better if you would do it the other way round: first getting the new tank and only then going shopping for a new goldie (preferrably after you've managed to cycle the new tank).

Be sure to post some pics of both the tank and your pride and joy goldie :D;) . (black moors are adorable :wub: )

I've noticed the word quarantine, but does it also apply to newly bought fishes? Would I have to keep them separate for a while before introducing the new one to the current tank? (I assume to check for signs of abnormality or illness..)

That would be another reason to first get the tank and only then the gf: quarantine applies most of all to newly acquired fish, whether it be from the store or from someone you know, because (especially in the case of the store) the chance of the fish being infected with some kind of parasite is rather high :( . That's why it's safest to first QT a new fish before putting it with the others: you can nurse the new goldie to peak condition :bath and you don't risk your other gf catching something the new fish brought along.

Sorry if I'm flooding you guys with questions, but these things just POP into my head! :ignore

The more questions you ask, the happier you make everyone here: there's nothing better than informing yourself properly before you do anything, so you can make sure than you can do everything right the first time round :D:goodjob .

-edit: apparently Earth!Mother beat me to it :P -

Edited by Erinaceus

The one thing you will learn about goldfish keeping, well, hopefully you won't just learn one thing!, lol!, but anyway... duh... patience. Tons and tons of patience is required for goldfish keeping. And here you are at your first lesson in patience. We always want that cute little goldy and just can't stand it, but if you put the cart before the horse, chances are, you won't have that cute little goldy for long. So, yeah, number one: get the larger tank. Two, get it cycled. Three, keep the old tank up and running as a quarantine tank. Four, now you can go buy your goldy. Keep in in the quarantine tank for 4 weeks, one month. If it is healthy after that time, it can then go in the new main tank with Toeby.

Sorry for not answering the quarantine question, lol, I must've missed it! Erinaceus put it well, another tank is needed for quarantine. A good trick is using rubbermaid/thick plastic tubs! I have 4 of them off hand, three twelve gallons and one twenty. They help so much if you can't afford another tank and need a place to put your sick or QT'd babes. Some people on here have a QT procedure they go through to make sure a fish is clear of any ailments.

I like answering questions(and asking!) so I don't mind them at all. And i know other people on here like answering questions and learning more about how to care for their fish! So don't hold back!

Quarantine works both ways - it protects your "old" fish from anything the new fish may bring in, but it also can protect a "new" fish from anything you may have in your main tank.

Quite often new fish are stressed. Even a healthy fish that has been shipped is highly stress. STress lowers immunuities. A healthy fish that may easily shake off problems when unstressed may become highly susceptible when stressed.

Most main tanks contain various organisms - either parastite, bacteria or virus - that do not necessarily bother the resident fish. With their immunities, they shake off anything that may come their way. The tank IS healthy. But if you add in a new fish that has lowered immunities through stress or whatever, it can immediately become afflicted with problems. This can actually, sometimes, open up a Pandora's box of problems - for parasites/bacteria/virus that find a host can quickly reproduce and overwhelm even healthy, immune fish. Sometimes, the new fish does not bring anything bad into the tank, but it's lowered immunities will cause an explosion of problems that can cause serious problems for the whole tank. People then assume that the new fish brought something in. It may not be the actual way the problems occured!

Qt is always important. At LEAST a 2 week qt is important for your new fish to settle into the new water, new food, new environment.

:)

WHUP! I missed a lot of replies while I was distracted, oh my.

I'm absorbing all of this, guys, you're a huge help.

My main goal is to keep my Toebygirl happy and healthy, so I want to do it right, mm.

I'll have to much more reading on cycling and I'm still learning things diet-wise, but I'm getting there!

I'm so glad I found people to help out~

At home I'm a bit in this on my own, so no schooled parents to help out, eheh!

Again, thanks everyone!

(Now, to decide where the new stand will stay once I have it..)

AHAHAHA. You sound just like all of us! I'm always plotting on where to put a new tank. I've told my mother many a time that I'd like to sell my bed and put a massive tank in its place. :9

:exactly Who needs a full bed! Just give me a place to lay out horizontally next to the tank and I'm good! :thumbs:

When you get the new tank, I recommend that you get a stand that can hold the 10 gallon on the lower shelf, and that becomes the quarantine tank while saving space.