Taming?

sheep

I know goldfish can be tamed and some even like playing and being petted.. my goldfish doesn't fear me, but she's curious of my hand in the water. She recognizes me at the glass and I've had her about 4 months or so(she's maybe.. two inches including tail).

She doesn't like the idea of taking food from my hand just yet. It's kind of funny, though.. I'll hold something she really likes and she'll KNOW I have it.. and nibble furiously at the marbles at the bottom of the aquarium as if to say, "Well you put that down already so I can eat it?!"

Erm.. yeah, so taming?

(if you have 'tame' goldfish, tell me about them!)

Another thing completely unrelated to the topic: Panda Oranda has my heart! They're for sale on mmm's site.. maybe I can get mom to buy me a bigger tank and a new goldie friend for Toeby? Hmmm. :)

I want to go and see if there are any in-store.. mm-mm-mm!

Personally, I have never made an attempt to "Tame" a fish. They simply do it. I do not know how, just that they do. I have to pick up the fish on a regular basis for various reasons. The food is fed in various ways depending on the food.... and the fish learn that.

Some fish are a bit more relaxed at the hand than others. Usually, the older they are, the more relaxed they are for they have experienced the hand sooooooo many times it is normal. I have one fish - Kermit - who is a wild animal - always has been and always will be. I think he is a bit insane. I have others that are so calm I can pick them up in one hand - even the HUGE ones.

I feed my fry by hand - scattering handfuls of brine shimp as I go. They nibble and chase my hand as I feed. Fry fed such grow to be adults that are easily handled.

I would not worry too much about it. Simply go about your business in a matter of fact manner and before you know it you will go "Hey...... he likes the hand. Wow." And all will be good.

AS with any living creature, repetition and continuity are the important parts. If you feed with the same signals each day, feeding the same way, etc. they will learn it quickly. I always turn the lights on and feed. They know this.

:)

I feed my fry by hand - scattering handfuls of brine shimp as I go. They nibble and chase my hand as I feed. Fry fed such grow to be adults that are easily handled.

I would not worry too much about it. Simply go about your business in a matter of fact manner and before you know it you will go "Hey...... he likes the hand. Wow." And all will be good.

AS with any living creature, repetition and continuity are the important parts. If you feed with the same signals each day, feeding the same way, etc. they will learn it quickly. I always turn the lights on and feed. They know this.

:)

-I bought Toeby from nnnn, that one's probably not likely for her. xD

But she is friendly~

And yes, she has trouble finding food sometimes(pop-eyes!), and she's slowly learning to fallow my moving finger OUTSIDE in the general direction. Had to remove the marbles with red in them, though, because she was confusing them with the red crisps! :rolleyes:

You're very helpful~! Thanks again. x)

In addition to what Daryl has said, I wanted to note that it is probably not a good idea to pet goldfish, even those who seem to ask for it. The slime coat of fish is easily disrupted by handling, which can open a fish up to health problems. It is fine for you to pick a fish up occasionally (in order to examine them, to move them, etc.) but I would avoid extended petting on a daily basis. I have several fish that are very tame -- two of them make a point to swim between my fingers repeatedly when I clean the tank (this is what I mean when I talk about a fish "asking" to be petted). I didn't make any special effort to make them this way, they just came to associate me with good things (i.e. food) over time.

P.S. I also wanted to note that moors tend to be a little more skittish than other fish because of their sight handicap.

Mmm. Thank you, thank you!

I'll be wary, then, but still kind, hehehe!~

And yes, she has trouble finding food sometimes(pop-eyes!)

Uh, I just had to throw in my two cents.... saying popeye can quickly throw most of us into a state of terror.... I know I did the panic thing for a split second when I saw popeye. Popeye is symptom of an often fatal disease. Actually, the name for those type of eyes is "telescope." If you refer to a fish eye as popeye, you will generally get a much different reaction than if you say telescope.... anyway....

I agree. Lots of repetition is what works best. But, yes, do try to stay away from handling your fish any more than necessary. It's fun for you, but can do damage to the fish.

My two cents....

I think eventually fish (any fish, whether it's goldfish, tropicals, etc.) will start to associate your hand with food, and act more 'tame'. Just keep feeding like you are, and the fish will probably learn eventually.

The goldfish I used to have would always come to my fingers and nibble at them, and I would feed them from my hand. Even my tropical fish will nibble at my arm when I'm cleaning the tank! They aren't as keen on eating from my hand, though.

My guppies were absloutely nuts about my hands. I think they nibbled off the dead skin cells or something. My hands were always softer after coming out of the tank.

My telescope Spook....Eh....He's friendly enough to let me hold him and flip him in all directions to check him over. I think he's going blind though, he's got the Goggle's "Death Glare" now.

And yes, she has trouble finding food sometimes(pop-eyes!)

Uh, I just had to throw in my two cents.... saying popeye can quickly throw most of us into a state of terror.... I know I did the panic thing for a split second when I saw popeye. Popeye is symptom of an often fatal disease. Actually, the name for those type of eyes is "telescope." If you refer to a fish eye as popeye, you will generally get a much different reaction than if you say telescope.... anyway....

I agree. Lots of repetition is what works best. But, yes, do try to stay away from handling your fish any more than necessary. It's fun for you, but can do damage to the fish.

Thanks for the correction~ I call her eyes all sorts of things, you have no idea. XD

OH! I remember!

These compelled me to even bring up this topic:

Each is a youtube video.

(please let me know if posting these isn't allowed for any reason. xD)

Eric's Oranda

I found them out of curiosity days ago. They're fun to watch.. but from what you guys are saying, it isn't healthy.. ? :x