I Started Jogging!

Lady_Dodecagon

I just wanted to take a moment to tell everyone that I have started jogging on a regular basis. I started going every day on the 4th, and so far I have done pretty well. I have made steady improvement, and I have started getting up early so that I can get it done in the morning instead of waiting for the weather to cool off before I can go in the afternoons.

Thus far, my schedule is such:

6a - smack snooze button

6:10a - smack snooze button

6: 20a - smack snooze button (seems to be a recurring theme...)

6:25a - get up, hit the RR, get dressed, and stretch

6:35a - start jogging

6:45a - stop at midway point (20 minute workout) for stretching and brief rest

6:50a- finish last 10 minutes of workout

7a - cool down stretches, hit the shower for work

Today I logged my personal best mile, 10 minutes and 11 seconds.

If you want to see more of the stats and all that, check out my blog. I will be posting the results after every workout, so if you want you can keep track right along with me. :)

If you have a wordpress blog (or want to start one) let me know and I will add you to my blogroll, that way we can keep track of each other. :)

Link is in my siggy, but the address is http://vmfox.wordpress.com

Good for you!!! :clapping: It takes a lot of determination and resolve to get started on an exercise routine - if exercise isn't a "hobby". :rofl:tomuch::rofl3 Sorry... that last part was funny... Exercise a hobby.... like it's fun or something..... :teehee

Anyway... I like the first part the best though.. hitting the snooze button. The energy involved there is quite impressive too - given the time of day!! :D

Seriously, I hope you stick with it! I know it's a good feeling when you get the routine down. Keep up the good work, and I hope you have new personal best times each day! :exactly

Debbie

Congrats!!! :nana

I started jogging/running a couple of years ago. I've been a bit slack lately but when you get into a good routine it does such amazing things for your body and energy level! I think the blog is a great idea too, what a way to stay motivated :D

So far I have made new personal bests daily, and I am very tickled with it! My first goal was to be able to jog 1/4 of a mile without slowing, and I accomplished that. My next goal is to be able to consistently run a mile in 10 minutes or less. Each day I get closer and closer to that goal, and I will be super excited when I make it! Once I reach that goal, I am not sure what I will aim for next, maybe a 9 minute or better mile. :)

I do know that I have a pair of size 10 American Eagle jeans that I got too small on purpose. I can put them on an button them now, and when I got them I couldn't get them past my thighs. I figure if I can wear an AE size 10, I can wear a size 8 from anywhere else. I was wearing a 14/16 this time last year, and have been in regular size 10s for a few months now.

\o/

That is really exciting! One thing that can realllllllllllly help (it amazed me) is interveal training. You run, and I mean run, for about 30 seconds (45 or a minute as you progress), then go at a slower/normal jog for about 1.5 minutes. Repeat this at least 5 times. I've done this and had drastic improvements the very next day. I know people who do it once a week. As you progress, the intense bursts get longer and the rest peroids get shorter.

That is sorta what I am doing. I don't know if you would call it jogging or running, someone told me that you should be able to hold a conversation while jogging and let me tell you there is now way I could do it at my pace!

I jog/run in intervals currently, I will go until I can't go any longer, then walk for about 30 seconds and start again.

I used to love to do my strength training in circuits, that way the workouts are never boring and the exercises that you don't like to do don't last long. :)

Cool, that's the same way I started...seems to be the way to go hey? It is so amazing how fast you progress!

PS You should be PROUD for getting up so early to do it, I reserve my workouts for the evenings, hehehe

I was going in the evenings, but here lately the weather is either miserable hot or kinda damp. Plus, on Mondays and Tuesdays I would not be able to go at all because of bowling league and classes after work.

I'm not an early riser, not at all. But, I figure I gotta get up and get moving so that I can rest better at night when I finally conk out. :D

Wow! Good on ya! I hate running with a passion, I'd glady walk, cycle, swim, skate, whatever, but NOT run.. I think I'm just too ehem.. well endowed.. Doesn't it feel awesome to be able to fit into 'those' clothes that you purposefully put in your wardrobe thinking, "of course I'll fit into them again". Best feeling ever!

I walk about 10km a day though at 6km/hr so I'm pretty happy with doing that most days :)

Congrats on the jogging ;) . Technically I started jogging about a month ago, with two collegues of mine who've been doing it for a couple of months now (one of them's Isilme), but so far I've only been able to do it one time, due to 'too busy' :wacko: .

This morning I didn't break any records, I eased up on the pace a bit because for the past couple days my calf muscles have been sore. All I can do is keep it up and just run it out, and once they get loose I will be just fine.

I already have different two calf stretches worked in to each of my stretching times (warmup, midway, and cool down) but they still are sore and want to stiffen up on me. At least they are getting one heck of a workout! :)

I posted this morning's stats on my blog, too.

the past couple days my calf muscles have been sore. All I can do is keep it up and just run it out, and once they get loose I will be just fine.

Careful with that. I get really sore calf muscles when I run the first week or so. When I first started running I tried to ignore it and just stretch and I gave myself an Achilies tendon injury, which is very, very slow to heal. If your calves are really sore, take a day or two off (as hard as it is when you're in the zone :) )

I'm just back from my second time jogging :D .

The good thing about doing a PhD: you can manage your own time and are fairly free to do so.

The bad thing about doing a PhD: you have to do far more than the typical 9 to 5.

The good thing about doing a PhD: you can manage your own time and are fairly free to do so.

The bad thing about doing a PhD: you have to do far more than the typical 9 to 5.

The really bad thing about doing a masters (in my case).....even when you should be doing more than a typical 9-5, it's SO easy/tempting to do so much less ;)

The really bad thing about doing a masters (in my case).....even when you should be doing more than a typical 9-5, it's SO easy/tempting to do so much less ;)

Procrastination is a (PhD) student's death trap :wacko: .

Procrastination is a (PhD) student's death trap :wacko: .

Haha I thought procrastination was your friend? It feels like it is, until it stabs you in the back come exam time..

the past couple days my calf muscles have been sore. All I can do is keep it up and just run it out, and once they get loose I will be just fine.

Careful with that. I get really sore calf muscles when I run the first week or so. When I first started running I tried to ignore it and just stretch and I gave myself an Achilies tendon injury, which is very, very slow to heal. If your calves are really sore, take a day or two off (as hard as it is when you're in the zone :) )

I had to take a day off today, it was raining when I got up. I may try this afternoon, or ride my bike. :)

The weekend didn't see my bum out there kicking it up, but I will be awake bright and early to start the week off running. :)