Shrinking Wen Issue

I was looking at the pics of my goldfish which they were taken several months ago when I first got them.

One of the fish that I bought from pet store, his wen gotten so much smaller. The difference is like day and night. I dont know what happened. I feed him progold in the morning and hikari frozen food at night. A lot of you were telling me that I'm overfeeding my fish, but why his wen gotten so much smaller n there is no wen growth even when I have been overfeeding them? They suppose to be overweight, not the other way around. This just doesn't make any sense to me.

Now I feel like I need to feed more frequent or the other possibility is the seller injected hormone to the wen area try to make a sell.

I bought the fish couple hours after he arrived at the my LFS, so either the breeder or the middle person done something to the fish. Otherwise, I couldn't figure out why this is happening to my fish.

All my fish have lengthen, but the wen growth has been going backwards.

Does anyone have any idea about what I'm talking about?

Edited by 32Bit_Fish

Do you have any photos to show how your fishes' wen has changed?

I have not heard of sellers injecting fishes' wens. I think that the more likely scenario is that your fish was being kept in an outdoor greenwater pool in China before you got him. Sunlight and greenwater can make a huge difference in growth and wen size, so perhaps the lack of these factors at your house has led to shrinkage? I don't know.

I think I remember that your tank lacks any natural sunlight? Is this correct? Perhaps you should look into upgrading your tank lighting to something more full-spectrum.

Do you have any photos to show how your fishes' wen has changed?

I have not heard of sellers injecting fishes' wens. I think that the more likely scenario is that your fish was being kept in an outdoor greenwater pool in China before you got him. Sunlight and greenwater can make a huge difference in growth and wen size, so perhaps the lack of these factors at your house has led to shrinkage? I don't know.

I think I remember that your tank lacks any natural sunlight? Is this correct? Perhaps you should look into upgrading your tank lighting to something more full-spectrum.

I think I can post some pics when I get home. You can also do a search in my previous post and there are couple pics that I attached in the post were taken several months ago. Those are the pics that I am referring to.

I've bought a life-glo full spectrum light (20w) and I leave it on at least 10 hours a day. I already noticed there are some greenish algae growing on the sides of the tank. I hope the lighting would solve the issue.

I was also wondering that I'm feeding the wrong food even though everyone has been praising about Pro-Gold, but it doesn't seem to meet my expectation. I have been feeding my fish with Progold for a few months now and I haven't seen any head growth even though progold claimed to be a high protein fish food.

Please post a link to the pics from several months ago and then post current pics when you get home so that we can compare on a single thread.

If you are not satisfied with ProGold, perhaps you should try Hikari Lionhead? It is supposed to be specially formulated for wen growth.

I have three wenned fish and have not had them long enough to see a great deal of growth in their wens, but it is my understanding that slow and steady is the best when it comes to wen and fish growth. Wens that grow very quickly are more apt to end up "fluffy" and soft rather than the more desirable sturdy tissue and they are also more likely to cover the eyes (before the eyes have a chance to grow outward) and cause problems with the gills.

Perhaps you should try searching on www.rafflesgold.com? There are a lot of keepers of show ranchus on that forum that might be able to advise you on how to feed for maximum wen growth.