Sexual Agression?

Chrissy_Bee

I'm still pretty bummed about how agressive my demekin George is and I've been making a point of really closely observing his behaviour lately.For about the past 6 months he's had extremely visible breeding stars. He lives with Fred, my pearlie, who also has stars, but they are much more subtle.I was watching George last night and he really chases Fred sometimes, to me it looks as though he's treating Fred like a female. Luckily, Fred is a faster swimmer and just gets out of the way (sometimes I think he's looking over his shoulder saying, "Oh give it a rest George!")

Anyway, I have a few questions....keep in mind that I have never, ever had goldies breed and I'm pretty unversed on the subject.

Do you think the reason George injured my last fish so badly was that it may have been a female and he was excited? I don't know about this theory though, because Tony was very very tiny and young...will a male still be excited by a non-sexually mature female?

Also, Elaine, my lionhead, lives on the other side of the tank. I'm fairly sure she is a female, but I can give her a closer inspection later. Is it possible that George is excited by her presence? She's seperated by a tank divider, but obviously if she's releasing chemicals into the water he can still recieve the signals.

I still highly doubt I'll ever put another fish in with George, but I would like to try and get to the bottom of his behaviour issues.

Certainly a breeding male fish can be quite aggressive and even violent in his chasing, but I don't think that eye-plucking and fin-shredding is typical of breeding behavior. I am also not knowledgeable about goldfish breeding, but it is my understanding that male fish typically only show very prominent stars when there is a female around to be stimulating them. So I suspect that having George in the same water as Elaine could be a part of the problem.

My new fish Winston had very prominent breeding stars when I got him three weeks ago from Tommy because he was housed in a large pool with over one hundred female fish. I noticed yesterday that they are still visible but not nearly as much now that he is living at my house. I know for sure that Betsy is a sexually mature female (she has dropped eggs before) and I think Penny is as well, but apparently they are not exciting enough to keep Winston's breeding stars prominent.

I am thinking that George is just kind of a grouchy fish that does not want to share his space with anyone other than Fred. I think it would be a mistake to add any other fish to the tank, even on the other side of a divider.

I definitely think your George has an extra ration of sex hormones going Chrissy. I have noticed aggression in male fish that dont have a female to chase and its a fact that round plumper fish can be mistaken for female by males in breeding mode. Its another reason why single tail slim fish are not recommended to be kept with round fancies since they can be mistakenly chased in a deluded sexual attempt.

Thanks Trinket, that's reallllllllllllly interesting. Because George was fine for the first 6 months that I had him (but he was also very small and young), he had no stars and lived with my old oranda and Elaine. The starts and agression seemed to present themselves when Fred moved in...who is a typically round pearlscale.

They think the roundness is a signal shes full of eggs :D Poor ol' pearlies especially male pearlies :rofl