Trying To Build Up My Black Moor...

tangelo123

I just bought a black moor (Flower) from my lfs and I've got him in QT. He'll be coming out soon but I don't think he's big enough to fight my filter intake just yet. I was wondering if there was a natural diet or food that would help him grow a little quicker. I feed him Aqueon gf flakes and smashed peas once a week now.

I've been wanting to try bloodworms...I started giving him crushed up freeze-dried baby shrimp. Are you talking about frozen brine shrimp? Do they make that?

Edited by tangelo123

I bought my moore a year ago and he was very very tiny. He was fed Hikari pellets, peas, and pro gold pellets....now he's easily 10x as big :)

I think the key is a good quality, high protein food.

Guest Isilme

I also think that a high protein and vitamin rich (vegetables, preferably with a lot of vitamin C) is the key start to a healthy (!) and fast growth. I also think that a high oxygen content in the water will enhance growth (and sunlight; or is that just for plants? :huh:;) ).

So right now I'm feeding him (and my 2 other gf):

Aqueon flakes (whole salmon as 1st ingredient)

Tetra freeze dried baby shrimp

Shelled peas

Oranges

I'll probably add frozen bloodworms to that and a wider variety of vegetables. As far as the O2 goes I've got 10in bubble bars in both my tanks so I think I'm covered there. Thanks guys! Keep the suggestions coming!

Yes they do make frozen brine shrimp. I can't remember the brand I use, they might not be Hikari...But they are cubes! As everyone said, variety is also a key. [:

Some fish grow fast and some grow slow. My ryukin Athena grows soooo slowly,but my two pearlscales Echo and Deuce have grown so much since I got them. So Daryl is right, you little guy just needs some time!

I like this page so you can figure out if theres enough surface action/oxygen flow in the tank.

I've been wanting to try bloodworms...I started giving him crushed up freeze-dried baby shrimp. Are you talking about frozen brine shrimp? Do they make that?

Oh yeah! They make all kinds of nummy frozen foods for fishies.... brine shrimp, krill, spirulina, bloodworms, daphnia, tubifex worms, mysis shrimp, squid, plankton and combos of some of these as well...mmmm.....

Oh yeah! They make all kinds of nummy frozen foods for fishies.... brine shrimp, krill, spirulina, bloodworms, daphnia, tubifex worms, mysis shrimp, squid, plankton and combos of some of these as well...mmmm.....

I'm gonna have to see what my lfs offers in the frozen section...