Suggestions With Toeby's Current Diet?

sheep

I've had Toeby a few months(about 4?) and I've been feeding her TetraFin crisps(not really FLAKES, but round little thin chips?) that I make sure SINK before she goes for them, the occasional sinking algae pellet that she likes to munch on(don't ask why I even own those. LOL), and some tiny shrimp I steal from my brother's turtle food container..

I once attempted to give her a cucumber slice and she was completely ininterested in even nibbling at it.

Should I buy a food clip(I think I've seen 'em at nnnn)? Feel free to soapbox me if I'm doing something VERY wrong, haha.. x_x

I'll also be browsing other threads for veg and fruit lists.. hmm.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are very good for goldfish. Things your fish might enjoy include:

• Peas popped out of their shells
  • Orange slices
  • Lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Pineapple
  • Kiwi

A varied diet is the best thing for goldfish, so feel free to be creative.

Generally sinking pellets are considered the preferred staple food. Some readily available brands that are good include Omega One and Hikari (the Lionhead type is the only sinking pellet that Hikari makes).

Welcome to Koko's. :)

AH! More questions..:

I'm wandering what the best feeding schedule would be- as in.. how often?

I don't want her to be overfed.. x_x

ALSOOO.. How long should fresh foods be left in the tank uneaten? And is there an easy way to anchor floating veggies? She doesn't like the idea of going to the surface for food since most of what she eats she finds on the bottom otherwise.

A veggie clip will hold floating foods in place. As things like lettuce, broccoli, etc. sit in the water, they will naturally soften and the fish may eat more readily. I usually blanch the veggies to soften them -and they are eaten quickly. My monsters will destroy a lettuce leaf or a broccoli flowerette in amatter of minutes - scattering crumbs all over the tank for the smaller fish to catch.

I am a strong believer in givng a really GOOD diet - varied and solid - but giving it sparingly. There is very little you can go wrong with in feeding LESS. I find myself feeding too much - and almost every month must readust my feeding regiment to give LESS. I have seen sooooooooo many fish that have become unstable in the water or floaty or whatever - simply from too much food. Feeding less can help a lot in keeping a fish stable in the water.

Too much food also drives up the nitrates and causes you to have to do much larger and more frequent water changes to keep up with them. Less food means less worries for the nitrates.

For a normal adult goldfish that has no outstanding problems, I feed ONCE a day - with a small amount. The old axiom that you feed the volume of food that is the size of the fish's eyeball is not too far off....just a bit misleading. A smaller fish has a proportionately larger eye - so a larger fish needs a bit more. A smaller fish needs a bit less.

Fry - of course - need more food, spread out over the day. Fish that are being groomed for show or for breeding need a bit different regiment.

I make all my own fish food - using commercial brands of food as well as fresh foods. This is fed once a day to adults - the large guys (8-12 inch fish) getting 1/2 inch cubes (1) and the smaller guys (4-5 inch fish) getting about 1./4 inch cubes or a bit more. Fry get a mixture of bloodworms, shrimp, daphnia, and a high protien gel. Depending on the fry size and breed, they may get as many as 12 meals a day (newly hatched) to 2 meals a day (6 month Ranchu)

Be creative - but NOT generous. :) A well fed goldfish will dance at the glass begging - not be glutted into lethargy.

:)

A veggie clip will hold floating foods in place. As things like lettuce, broccoli, etc. sit in the water, they will naturally soften and the fish may eat more readily. I usually blanch the veggies to soften them -and they are eaten quickly. My monsters will destroy a lettuce leaf or a broccoli flowerette in amatter of minutes - scattering crumbs all over the tank for the smaller fish to catch.

Be creative - but NOT generous. :) A well fed goldfish will dance at the glass begging - not be glutted into lethargy.

:)

That was a loooooooooooot of information! Thank you so very much!

Toeby's good at letting me know she's hungry, and I'll see what I can get the next shopping trip!~