Eeek!

rocmills

Okay, so maybe this is the wrong place, but I have no clue where else to ask this question...

Had plants in a bucket of PP dip. 3 gallons of water, slightly less than 1 tablespoon of Pond Permoxyn, had been sitting for maybe 15 minutes.

Our ferret apparently thought whatever was in the bucket was for her, and she dragged out half the plants and hid them around the living room (strange behavior as she normally does not steal like most ferrets). At first, I was just annoyed at having to rescue the plants, but then it hit me that she undoubtedly drank some of the water, intentionally or otherwise. She would certainly lick moisture from the plants once she had them out of the bucket, she does like to lick things that way.

It was such a tiny amount, you don't think that licking up some PP water is going to hurt her, do you? She seems otherwise fine at the moment, if a bit sleepy - but that's probably due to us going outside in the obscene heat today which isn't good for her and always slows her down.

Sorry to be off-topic and probably in the wrong place as well, but I didn't know who else to ask and I'm one of those worry-moms when it comes to my scaled and furred kids.

--Roc

Edited by rocmills

PP is a strong oxidizer, but not generally toxic to animals. It will temporarily stain the skin and irritate mucous membranes in dilute concentrations. Because the PP you are using is diluted, your ferret probably did not ingest enough to cause any problems. The concetration you are using is about .005% PP, which is an effective anti-microbial treatment but not enough to cause serious harm to an animal in one brief exposure.

Also, ferrets are remarkably tough animals. One of my brother's ferrets escaped the apartment and jumped down a stairwell :krazy: , but was fine a few hours later . Keep an eye on her, and make sure she eats.

Edited by A Penguin

Thanks, Penguin. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to check with someone just so I felt better. She's still fine, napping away but responsive when prompted. I think I'll stop bothering her now and let her get back to her power napping.

--Roc