I Found Red Worms In My Tank!

Guest TBunny

Guest TBunny

So, I just finished gravel vacuuming the tank as I normally do 2X a week and I found about 20+ little red worms in the bucket. YUCK!! I swear I saw a dead mosquito larvae in the tank but not sure. It's hot in CA and mosquitos are a big problem and the tank has one exposed opening for a heater. I have not introduced any new fishies and was preparing to start a round of salt this evening. I posted yesterday about Henry having finrot and salting was recommended. I took a pic of the nasty thing!! Any ideas? Thanks :(

worm.jpg

Bloodworms? They are the larvae of the midge; if you think you saw mosquito larvae in the tank, it may be that the hot weather has brought bugs to lay eggs in your tank.

Otherwise, are your fish showing any indications of internal worms? Bloating? Wasting? Whitish poop casts? Poor appetite? Camallanus worms will often protrude from the vent. Take a look.

Try googling some images for a closer match.

Guest TBunny

Thanks Pixiefish! Ugh...so basically the bloodworms are harmless? They are so nasty though. Do others have this problem in during warmer months?

In reference to the fish, one looks somewhat of bloated. I have not seen anything near their vents. Should I order some Medi-Worm? Also, I was going to start a round of salt tonight is this still okay?

Guest TBunny

Ahhh...what to do!? I have some Prazi on hand should I administer a cycle? I read the article Acupunk and am a bit confused. JungleFood is a no-no? The post mentions another dewormer. Did you have any luck with it?

It is not that the Jungle food is a no-no, it just has some strong medications in it that should only be used if you know pretty definitively that your fish has a parasite problem.

I guess the question is 1) exactly what type of worm have you found in your tank and 2) is that particular worm a nematode, a cestode, or a trematode. That will determine the appropriate course of treatment, which is laid out in Pixie's reply to my thread.

I am still awaiting the dewormer -- it will probably come via UPS tomorrow.

I found the same thing in my pond and was equally creeped out and disgusted. Yes, they are blood worms and, again, are completely harmless. And, although my goldies never ate them, as far as I knew anyway, your goldies could. Mine was in an outdoor pond where I couldn't stop flies from laying their eggs and after a while, I just got used to them and accepted them as part of the pond ecology.

UGH! i've experieced the dreaded LIVE bloodworm outbreak in one of my newly set up tanks.

it's rather gross, and the "mosquito" looking like thing is probably the adult stage of the fly.

they look like mosquitoes but with a fuzzy antennae thing rather than a regular one.

they'll hang out around your tanks and make more wormy babies. =P

what i do is i rinse out my filters often and the key to stopping the cycle is to get rid of the adults as soon as you see them.

you can either scoop the floating larvae out of the edges of the tank with a net or you can vacuum the adult midge flies.

i do all of the above.

and yet i still have a couple that emerge from time to time.

:wall:madrant

here's my previous thread about them... http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...st&p=765755