Todays Pet Store Adventure!

Nomi

Well, I have been trying to get around my city to different pet and/or fish stores to stake out which has a generally good quality and healthy stock of goldies, as well as to look for a 10-20 gallon tank for myself and a 1 gallon tank and betta set up for a friend of mine. This has been pretty hit and miss, as the three pet stores closest to where I live have been abysmal in the goldfish department. Today, using the excuse of looking for that betta tank for my friends birthday, I was able to stake out not one but two pet/fish stores that seem like very good prospects if I can get a tankmate for Ophie. Yay!

The first fish store I went to was one I had heard about and wanted to go check out for a while now. This store specializes in fish, and I spent at least a good hour just looking around! The front of the store had more fish care/tanks/decor/books/meds/food than I have seen in other pet stores in my city, and since the store is close to work (if not home) I know where I'm going to get supplies now. The goldfish stock seemed to be depleted (I think I caught them after most were sold and before they had gotten new stock in) but they still had a large amount of goldies that seemed to be healthy and of reasonable quality for here. They had two large tanks FULL ofvery pretty shubunkins, as well as a very large abundance of bubble-eyes and calico ryukins. They also had two very cute lionheads left as well as a few black moors and tiny pearlscales. I did see one tank with two red-cap orandas covered in ich as well as two larger ryukins that didn't look so good, but from what I could tell that tank was a seperate quarentine tank (it had no prices on it) for treatment for those fish. I may go back in a while to see when they get their goldfish in, bacause I forgot to ask. Also fun to see were two very large holding tanks full of large koi, as well as a few hundered tanks full of different fish. But what I couldn't find was a 1 gallon betta tank, the ones they had were either 1/2 gallons or too big and expensive. Well, the pet store I had gotten Ophie from was close by, and it was a store I was previously very impressed with goldfish-wise.

This store was smaller and a general pet store, a local chain pet store, but they still had a goood stock of goldfish. I asked when they got their shipments in, and they said friday, so by now I assume some were sold. I did see some very cool fish, like a nice and BIG calico pearlscale and a very friendly large tricolor oranda, several large orange-white lionheads, a tiny chocolate moor and a tank full of wakins, all of better quality than I usually see (the funny thing is one of the pet stores closer to my house is of the same pet chain, but this one was waaaay better). Best of all, they had a big sign by the goldfish that explained that goldfish should never be kept in bowls and why. Nice to see. Now, they too only had the 1/2 gallon betta tanks, but they did have one gallon reptile/amphibian tanks. What I decided to do was get a reptile tank and convert it to an aquarium. I'm pretty sure this will be ok, as the tank was just as sturdy as the betta tanks they were selling (if not more), and has no leaks. Yes, I checked. I'm sure a betta will be much more happy in the 1 gallon than the 1/2 gallon. The only difference was the cover, but it will work. Last time I was there and was floored by a tank full of butterflys (which I NEVER see, and of course my Ophie was in there) and, when I commented on how rare they were to see, the employee looked at me like a crazy woman and said they got them in all the time! Yay!

So yes, it was fun. I am bored so I thought I would share that. Anyone else go goldfish-store hunting? My parents think I'm nuts, to go to this much work finding a fish.

Guest TBunny

Hey Nomi...your pet store rendevous was similiar to mine yesterday. Sigh :-( I went to a big box store to buy some salt and I ALWAYS spend at least 10 minutes checking out the new fishies. Well, a few weeks ago they had a few panda orandas and i just about died! But yesterday there were 2 big lemon head orandas. This really upset me :rolleyes: !! I immediately checked out the tanks they had on sale and the ones I liked were around $450 with everything. So, I quickly picked up my salt and dreamed about the lemon heads the rest of the day. I'm doing a little better now :ill . It's really difficult to see all of the cuties that really want to come home with you to a better life. They need us!! LOL

Anyways, I thought I'd throw in my two cents about the betta tank. I have a 5 gallon Eclipse tank by Marineland for my little betta man and it's an awesome tank. He jets around and dances so I know he really enjoys the space. I think most peeps will say they don't need very much room but I see how happy he is so I'll never go below 5 gallons. It's the easiet thing to clean and very nice on the kitchen counter and plenty of room for a heater.

Yes, exactly. Good thing the 33 gallon at the shop is already fully stocked, and I wouldn't dare overstock it. we can only hope that the goldies from both stores aren't destined for bowls or tiny tanks.

As for the betta tank, I don't think that the friend I am getting the tank for could have a tank bigger than the 1 gallon (which, when measured, came out at around 1.77 gallons). This friend of mine is also a fish fanatic and I know he will keep the water quality excelent. For myself, however, I would love to have a 5 gallon planted tank with a betta. I always feel sad when I see the little half gallon tanks, partialy since when I was younger I had one of those tanks with a betta, who never seemed happy and didn't swim at all.

I myself have been checking out LFS around me during the last 2 weeks or so. I had already had the ones in my local area scoped out for quite a while, but I decided it was time to venture out further and see what laid over the hill, called "The Valley" (like in Valley Girls... yeah, that's where that came from!) I checked out 4 shops in the Valley and 3 were really terrible so they were crossed off the list, but one was really quite nice and it is on my list now of shops I will regularly frequent. Not for everyday supplies as it is too far away, but when I am considering a fish, yes, I will go there. But, most surprising of all was the shop I found when I went out to my parents in Palm Desert for the July 4th weekend. For something to do, I wanted to see if they had any decent LFS as they have plenty of chain stores out there. There were two stores. Although one said they had freshwater fish and koi, they only had saltwater fish, but the other one I was highly impressed with. By far the nicest store I've ever been to. Some people go window shopping for shoes, we go window shopping for goldfish!