Is My Fantail About To Lay Eggs?

tangelo123

Here's what's going on: My oranda Fredo has been displaying breeding behavior with my fantial Tiger since I bought her. Now they won't leave each other's side which is kinda cute. Well today Tiger has been sitting on the bottom in between two clumps of fake grass. Usually she's zipping around the tank with Fredo in tow so it's unusual for her. She is straying out occassionally to bottom feed so I don't think she's sick but she won't leave that corner of the tank for long and Fredo is staying right beside her. My theory is she is going to lay eggs soon and use the fake grass as a nest to stick the eggs on. I have no experience with this so it's mostly just a guess. I've had her about a month and she's never behaved like this before. Just wondering if this is how gf act before they lay eggs. I really hope not cuz I'm not really set up for breeding gf but if it happens I would give it a shot.

Where as I will not say that it is impossible that this is what is going on, I do think that it is somewhat improbable that that is why they are acting that way.

A gravid female CAN become a bit of a bottom sitter - or even unstable in the water. But generally, a healthy female, other than appearing perhaps more rotund, will act normally. It is the males who literally go berserk! They will chase her around. Many males are very aggressive - body slamming the female into the tank's sides and into anything that may be around. Other males are more sedate - sailing constantly behind the female, nudgeing her up her rear. Many males will actually injure a female in a breeding frenzy.

It does not take a male to chase and act like a male. Sometimes two males will demonstrate what appears to be breeding behavior - and sometimes 2 females will do so. Sometimes, when you have groups, they all get into it togther with a group chase and body checking....

Have you checked her for parasites?

I haven't checked for parasites specifically but I inspect all the fish daily for red spots, ulcers, abrasions etc. and haven't noticed anything. I didn't know if there was a certain behavior gf exhibited prior to egg-laying or not. Now I kinda wish that's what it was. I'll keep a close eye on her. If she keeps it up I'll post and probably start a round of medi-gold. In an earlier post I talked about how I had noticed some white stringy poop in the tank and now I wonder if she is the culprit. Thanks for the insight Daryl. Is there a specific way of checking for parasites besides breaking out a microscope?

Edited by tangelo123

I would hold off on MediGold unless there is a specific indication that your fish has a bacterial infection. Have you treated your fish with for flukes with prazi? Flukes are the usual suspect in bottom-sitting goldfish and prazi is so gentle that it can be used even if you're not certain of the diagnosis. 0.3% salt will take care of most of the remaining external parasites. White stringy poop can either be a sign of internal parasites or a sign of general stress (associated with flukes or water quality).

I think I'll pick up some prazi tomorrow and up my salt content to .3%. Thanks for the info Acupunk. She's usually so active it was kind of a shock to see her just sitting on the bottom. She's still eating just fine so if she does have parasites hopefully they're not too advanced. I'll post in the diseases/diagnoses section if there are any new developments. Thanks again!