Moss Ball!

rocmills

Wow, I just found the most amazing fish store less than 3 miles from my house! I swear, everything that I have ordered online in the last six months was sitting on a shelf at this store. Among the awesome tank deals and astounding parts for filter repair, they had moss balls! I couldn't resist and of course bought one (along with a couple of other cool plants)... I know how to use a PP dip (i have pond permoxyn) for the regular plants, but before I dip the moss ball I thought I would double check here.

Will a PP dip harm the moss ball in any way? Or can I dip it the way I would any other plant? I will probably bucket quarantine for a few days as there were fish in the plant tank, too. Should I use some Prazi on it as well?

I also figure this thing may just turn out to be a tasty treat for the two plecos, even if the giant goldies don't eat it right away... but I just had to have one!

--Roc

When Joy and I got a mossball (marimo), we were worried about killing it. Marimos are actually a type of algae that grows in large colonies, not a plant, so anything that harms algae may harm the marimo.

We used a bleach dip for our plants. I don't think that I actually dipped the moss ball... I think that I just rinsed it in tapwater and then quarantined it for a long time with the fish that came from the same store. It might be safe to dip the moss ball for the minimum suggested time for the most delicate plants, but I suggest you look into algae-safe treatments.

Kristen,

It's not the goldfish I'm worried about anymore... more and more I am hearing that fish ignore these. They had... umm... discus fish in the plant tank where I bought them, big ones, and the guy said they ignore the "moss" ball (that's what they were calling them, though he knew they were really algae), and that he had one at home that his fish ignored.

My concern at the moment is aglae eaters like my two big plecos... I'm thinking they will just gorge themselves until they explode or the ball is no more. So now I am contemplating putting the ball in the hospital tank with Luc or maybe even setting up the 10 gallon just for the ball... okay, that's just sick, right? It's algae and I'm thinking of giving it it's own tank, there must be something wrong with me. I wont name it, I refuse to give it a name. But how can it be so cute when it's just a ball of green slime?

--Roc

I don't have bottom feeders so I don't know how that all would play out, but I had a moss ball. They are just so dang cool looking and I, too, just had to have one. My goldies completely ignored it, but then, they hate veggies anyway.... But, it eventually just started disintegrating and completely fell apart. Of course, I did nothing as far as special lighting, fertilizers or anything to keep it alive. So, I guess what I'm saying is that, unless you take special measures for a planted tank, it just may disintegrate like mine did. But, don't get me wrong! I don't regret buying it. It was cool!

Actually...I saw the cutest thing once...it was like a 1 gallon or something hex tank with a large marimo in it and some gravel on the bottom. No fish, just the ball. Simple but effective :)

I haven't tried, but the way my pleco goes through algae wafers I expect he could devour a marimo in a couple days. A one gallon marimo tank is a cute idea, and a nice demonstration of how rediculous a one gallon tank is.

I'd keep it in the QT tank as long as it isn't being medicated.