Swim Bladder Or Weird Fish?

Hi all,

When I first inherited my fish tank from a friend with a small Pearlscale it didn't have an airstone. I added a rather large bar to half of the ten gallon tank. Since then, I've noticed my small Pearlscale loves to get in the current of bubbles and lets them blow her all around. She hangs vertically alot and lets them push her around. Over the last day or two she is even letting them flip her upside down. She is always able to right herslef, but it seems like she is swimming more vertically than usual, even thought she is still able to right herself.

She has grown a lot in the last week and I'm starting to think it might be a swim bladder issue. I fasted her for twenty-four hours on Saturday and gave her peas yesterday (I'm not sure how much she got because the other fish seemd faster than her). I did flake feed her (soaked flakes) this morning but it almost seems like she is struggling upright today rather than having fun with it (she is still able to swim around though, but when she rest her tail goes up in the air).

Does this sound like a swim bladd er issue? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Amy

Swim bladder disease is a mis-leading term. It is more a symptom than a disease, in and of itself.

I question a few things in your thread..... if your Pearlscale is in a 10 gallon tank, she should be by herself. A 10 gallon tank is MINIMUM volume for one small goldfish. As soon as she grows at all (3 inches total), she will need more volume. If she is sharing the tank with others, it may be that your water parameters are not what they should be.

A Pearlscale fish is about as far down the scale of "Mutated" as goldfish get - with practically every aspect of their form having been modified by man. Because of this, many are more delicate and susceptible to problems that other goldfish. To keep a Pearlscale successfully, it is really essential that she be given pristine water.

Could you please post up your water parameters? Have you cycled this tank? What sort of filter to you have running on the tank? Is there gravel? How often do you change the water?

A goldfish normally should swim strongly and in an upright position. Some of the more "handicapped" ones can have abberations in their swimming and still be healthy - just not "perfect", but the majority of abberant swimmers can be helped by improving water. Keep the water and the water will keep the fish really applys to so many situations.

Let's see if we can help you improve your little Pearlie's home - and she may reward you by growing even faster and more beautiful. :)

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for helping. I am brand new to the world of goldfish and when I got the tank it waws really dirty and hot (it had a heater and six tropical fish, including a Chinese Algae Eater who kept sucking on her). I was able to exchange the tropicals for some supplies and the other fancy goldfish (this was before I knew about the ten gallon rule). I'm looking to upgrade in the next few months. I'm saving now.

It is a regular ten gallon with a Whisper power filter and an airstone. It has gravel, plastic plants and one live live plant.

The tank was established (though very dirty). I cleaned the gravel but left the filter dirty when I prepared the tank for the fish from the move. We emptied all but a quarter of the water and I ran the tank for twenty-four hours before putting the fish back in. I have had the tank two weeks tommorrow and have done three water changes so far.

I haven't been able to buy a water testing kit, but I have had the water tested twice (with liquid tests) and they all came out perfect according to the LFS. I have been changing twenty-five to forty percent of the water twice a week and I just did a water change last night. I use a gravel vaccum to clean.

She is still eating, but is clearly having a problem floating properly.

I'm wondering if I should fast her or only fed her peas? Should I do another water change and add salt? Is it possible it is flukes? I'm getting worried.

Thanks!

Hi again,

I'm now in the 911 area, but just in case you haven't been there she seems to have developed signs of dropsy. Her scales are starting to pinecone and she is definately bloated with liquid. I thought it was flukes and treated with Parasiste Clear and aquarium salt, but as soon as the pineconing started I pulled 75% of the water, all the gravel except fof some that I potted my live plant with and added 1/4 tsp. Epsom salt. She seems to be a little better and more active but she is still struggling to stay down and her scales are still sticking out. She seems to be shimmying, but I think it is a struggle to stay upright. I'm worried...if you have any advice I would appreciate it.