Help Harold Has Pop Eye

I know a mod is probaly gonna merge this topic with my other one but this is and emergency! Harold has pop eye someone my other post i need help

ok im gonna give this to you guys straight im 95% sure that Harold has pop eye. :unsure: from what i can see his eyes seem to be just starting to pop out what should i do? :( i noticed this last night. here are the water test results: ph 7.8, amaonia 0.0, nitrite 1.0, and nitrate 10.0 also... his scales aren't sticking out im pretty sure i caught it quite early

I know a mod is probaly gonna merge this topic with my other one but this is and emergency! Harold has pop eye someone my other post i need help

Mac,

Remember what I said before about having patience? I know you are scared for Harold. Been there, done that. You caught it early, and it's only been an hour since you posted about the pop eye. You need to give them time throughout the whole day to answer. Many of them live in different time zones, like Trinket. She lives in Japan and right now the time there is almost 2 am tomorrow morning. She'll be on during the usa'a early morning hours. Some are from Texas, they're a different time zone too. You have to be patient, they do check the new posts.

BTW, you are probably right, they will probably merge this with the old one. They may even talk to you about being more patient as well. They don't stay on the computer all the time. They volunteer during spare time in their own lives. Ok? I hope you understand. I'm not trying to get on your case, but you do need to understand how this forum works. Ask Acupunk if you could pm her when it's urgent. Or maybe one of the others will volunteer. Harold will be ok, but be ready to buy some meds and/or salt. Did you ever salt your tank?

Well, it looks like you are making progress on your cycle. The fact that ammonia is zero and that you have nitrite is good and is an indication that beneficial bacteria is growing. But 1.0 ppm nitrite is too high, especially for a sick fish.

Popeye is generally an indication that a fish has a serious internal bacterial infection. You will need to wait on a moderator for advice on medication. In the meantime, please carry out a large water change (75% at least) in order to bring your nitrite down. You can also begin adding salt -- 1 tsp per gallon in three doses spaced 12 hours apart. Please let me know if you need more detailed instructions about what type of salt to use or how to add it to your tank.

Mac,

Remember what I said before about having patience? I know you are scared for Harold. Been there, done that. You caught it early, and it's only been an hour since you posted about the pop eye. You need to give them time throughout the whole day to answer. Many of them live in different time zones, like Trinket. She lives in Japan and right now the time there is almost 2 am tomorrow morning. She'll be on during the usa'a early morning hours. Some are from Texas, they're a different time zone too. You have to be patient, they do check the new posts.

BTW, you are probably right, they will probably merge this with the old one. They may even talk to you about being more patient as well. They don't stay on the computer all the time. They volunteer during spare time in their own lives. Ok? I hope you understand. I'm not trying to get on your case, but you do need to understand how this forum works. Ask Acupunk if you could pm her when it's urgent. Or maybe one of the others will volunteer. Harold will be ok, but be ready to buy some meds and/or salt. Did you ever salt your tank?

And if you do feel that you need to bring your original post back to the top of the list so that it doesn't get "buried" under other posts, simply add another entry to your original post. We need the original post with all the information and history.

I understand your worry, concern and pain. In fact we all do sweetie. We all started just like you did. A beginner not knowing what to do. Not understanding how to deal with an emergency situation. It's incredibly admirable that you care as much as you do. We're not being callous or uncaring by not responding immediately. As difficult as it is to wait for a mod to answer, just keep your original post fresh and they will respond as soon as they can.

I hope Harold will be okay.

I understand both of u guys that the mods are from different areas of the world but i just am worried because pop eye and dropsy because it sounds like a really a bad dieaese. and also I dont have aquarium salt but I plan to get top fin aquarium salt. and the necessary meds needed to help Him

Pixiefish or Koko might stop in sometime today, or Trinket in the early morning.

Like I said, you caught it early. Do what Akupunk suggests, wait for someone in the know to respond and all will be well.

BTW, keep in mind that the last post posted is usually the first one read when they make their rounds. If it sounds like all is well, they move on. If you see a post that has a medical question or a plea for a moderator and you don't know the answer, try to wait to post until someone has been able to answer the questions ok? Same with your posts, make sure that when someone reads it, they will know you need help. I made sure that my first line stated that someone will be by to help you. That will alert people that you still need assistance. (Sorry, falling into teacher mode again.)

We're with you Mac, you aren't alone. Get it? Got it? Good! ::chuckling:: Do the kids still say that? LOL

I understand both of u guys that the mods are from different areas of the world but i just am worried because pop eye and dropsy because it sounds like a really a bad dieaese. and also I dont have aquarium salt but I plan to get top fin aquarium salt. and the necessary meds needed to help Him

Although aquarium salt is a good item to add to your fishies' "medicine chest" and is often the best and first treatment to turn to, I would hold off adding any in this case until you get a response from a mod. Salt can make a fish retain fluids and, in the case of dropsy, is the last thing you want the fish to do. In the case of dropsy, you'll want to add epsom salt to the water. Epsom salt can help the fish release fluids from its body, so if you're out buying hospital supplies, I would also suggest that you invest in some epsom salt.

Good luck darlin'!

Although aquarium salt is a good item to add to your fishies' "medicine chest" and is often the best and first treatment to turn to, I would hold off adding any in this case until you get a response from a mod. Salt can make a fish retain fluids and, in the case of dropsy, is the last thing you want the fish to do. In the case of dropsy, you'll want to add epsom salt to the water. Epsom salt can help the fish release fluids from its body, so if you're out buying hospital supplies, I would also suggest that you invest in some epsom salt.

Good luck darlin'!

You are absolutely right, Lynda. Thank you for correcting me. If your fish has dropsy (body swelling that makes the scales look like a pinecone) then epsom salt is the thing to add (1/4 tsp per ten gallons). You can get epsom salts at any drug store -- it is usually near the bandaids and Ace wraps. I jumped to recommending aquarium salt because of my concern related to nitrite stress (which aquarium salt will help to relieve), but things may have progressed beyond that point now.

Mac, could you look very, very closely at Harold from above and tell us if his scales are laying down smooth or are they sticking out edgewise, even a little bit?

ya they are sticking up just a little bit i think (He keeps moving) and on His right side I noticed a white stripe not like a grain of salt just a stripe about an inch

If his scales are sticking up then you should add epsom salts. The dose is 1/4 tsp for every ten gallons. Mix it up in the tank water in a separate container before adding it to the tank. Have you done the large water change that I recommended earlier yet? You should do that first.

ok im about to do that water change so i would need to add 1.5 teaspoons

For a 60 gallon tank, yes. Be sure you are using teaspoons, not tablespoons. Big difference and easy to confuse. Keep us posted.

And don't add it directly to the tank. Make sure to premix it in some tank water first, then pour in slowly near the filter(s).

OK - you need to order MetroMeds from the Goldfish Connection. Try to get them overnighted.

Meanwhile, add epsom salt to the tank, as the others have said, and keep a log so that you maintain the level during water changes. You must really keep on top of the nitrite; a sick fish will just not make it if it has to battle nitrite on top of a heavy infection.

Pop eye often goes on to develop into dropsy and you may be seeing the beginning of this with the lifting scales.

The white stripe - is it on the skin or something protruding?

I'm afraid I have had very little time on the forum over the past few days and so I'm sorry if you've been waiting.

OK guys he made it threw the night and it looks like his scale near his dorsil fin that i said were starting to stick up have gone back down! :) and the salt seems to have gotten him to calm down he seems quite well but his eyes are still not looking normal question: when a fish has pop eye and he or she recovers from it do their eyes go back into their sockets? P.S. i will post water test soon

Ahh Mac. You are truely getting "Baptised" aren't you. You have very wonderful parents if they are helping finance all of this. Be sure to show them how much you appreciate them ok?

Don't forget to go to the Goldfish connection and get the Metromed that Pixiefish suggested. Asap. I don't know if the eyes go back to normal or not. I will leave that question for someone else.

Take care of yourself too. You are doing great with Harold, but you can get worn out. Don't forget about yourself and other things that need attention too. Good luck.

i will try to get the metro meds soon but he seems to be doing fine the salt also seems to be destressing him to. another question:will the epsom salt help him in other cases besides this one? and im about to do the water tests soon

Hello again. i just wanted to say that it is very important to order the meds asap.

The reason his eyes are swelling is due to an accumulation of fluid caused by an internal infection. This infection will cause internal damage if it isn't treated.

Epsom salt helps the fish not to swell so much, but it does NOT fight the infection. His eyes should return to normal once he begins meds..

Keep us posted.

ummm.... i dont know if i can get metro meds i wish it was sold in store!

is there any meds that would help him besides those