Leroy's Got The Dropsy

Good lord! I don't understand what I or Leroy did to deserve all of this! First, Leroy had that cyst and the floating that I wrote about earlier. I put him in the hospital tank with a 0.3% salt solution for about 10 days, fed medicated food and the cyst receded without popping and he seemed fine. No floating, no septicemia, no red streaks, no clamped fins, no ragged fins and an extremely healthy appetite. So, back to the main tank he went. For a week he was happy, healthy, eating like his usual little pig self, still no floating, was able to right himself quickly when he turned sideways or current caught him off guard, etc., and all seemed great. I did add a 0.1% salt solution to the main tank to ease Leroy's transition and to help the main tank just in case. I go out of town for 3 days for the July 4th weekend and come back (at 1:00 a.m.!) to find he's pineconed! What the holy hanna happened?! I just wanted to lay down for a minute and relax then go to bed! So, Nurse Betty goes into action.

I immediately drained all of the salt water out of the 10 gallon hospital tank, rinsed the filter, put in fresh water treated with Stresscoat and 1/4 teaspoon epsom salt and in Leroy went.

So, needless to say, there are no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates readings at this point. There is a bag of ammo-chips in the filter.

Ph is somewhere in between 7.5-8.0.

Temp is 82 degrees F and I have a heater in there set to raise the temp to 86.

Penguin HOB bio-wheel 100 filter (filter media removed) with a good waterfall and air bubbler to increase oxygenation.

Leroy's dorsal fin is high and erect. No frayed fins. No streaking, but there are 3 or so very tiny, pin-sized red spots on the left side of the belly. No popeye. Anal vent opening very large; probably about 1/8". Operculum are tight and are not rolled back and gills appear to still be pink/medium pink. Heavy, labored breathing. Swimming nose down, mid-level. I tried feeding Medi-Gold in the tank (that's all I have med food wise), but he has no interest in eating. I mashed some up and fed with a syringe. He did spit it out, so I don't know if he got any down.

One, is there anything else I need to do/should do for Leroy?

Two, is there anything I need to do/should do for the main tank?

Buddy Blue, the blue oranda was, is, and always has been, in the main tank. Peaches, the baby lionhead, had been in the qt tank for 3 weeks and looked very healthy and was eating very well, and as the qt tank is not cycled, I didn't want to leave her in there for 3 days without a water change, so I put her in the main tank. Both currently appear very healthy and ate like piglets when I fed them just now.

Edited by lynda441

Dropsy is out of my experience Lynda, but I just wanted to tell you good luck and hopefully Leroy will get better. I do know that epsom salts is a correct treatment. Give me a few and I remember a recent thread about dropsy treatment. :iwill

Ok, in the thread I looked at Koko said to use Maricyn 2, available at the lfs, and Metromeds along with epsom salt and water temps raised to 82. Metromeds are available at www.goldfishconnection.com.

Good luck, and keeping my fingers crossed.

Its awful to return from a relaxing mini-vacation to find your fish ill. I'm half afraid to go anywhere because of the fish and the cat, lol.

Edited by vickielm

Ok, in the thread I looked at Koko said to use Maricyn 2, available at the lfs, and Metromeds along with epsom salt and water temps raised to 82. Metromeds are available at www.goldfishconnection.com.

Thanks for looking that up for me Vickie. I do have Maracyn 2, but do not have Metromeds. I can order them, but that will take some time to get here. I think my biggest questions as far as the hospital tank go are meds and how to administer them. I'm good with basic keeping knowledge and I'm pretty good with identifying diseases, sicknesses, etc., but am weak on the meds. I think the biggest thing I'm afraid of is mixing. Needing to know what I can and can't mix and when to introduce meds, etc. Also, for instance, do you just do epsom salt first, hoping that will work, or do you introduce the Maracyn 2 right away? These are the things I'm weak on and need to know/understand.

Edited by lynda441

Oh dear, what an unpleasant surprise!

A few things:

• Don't feed Medigold. It contains a med that can put compromised kidneys over the top (the fact that he is pineconed suggests a kidney problem). Unless a mod directs otherwise, feed your regular food until you get Metromeds.
  • 86 degrees seems very hot. I would do your best to maintain a steady and lower temperature, around 80 degrees or so. When Pepper had dropsy here recently Trinket explained to me that fish secrete a lot more stress hormones at higher temperatures, which further compromises their immune function.
  • If I were you I would start with epsom salt and give that a while to work. You can have Maracyn 2 on hand to use if the epsom salts don't seem to be working or he gets worse.
  • Goldfish Connection will send you medicated foods overnight -- they are used to dealing with panicked goldfish owners. The good news is that they are on EST so you can call them first thing this morning.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Awwww no. They were just reunited! It really seems there has been a lot of sick fish lately... I hope Leroy gets better.. this is terrible news! Good luck treating him Lynda..

Just to let you know I ordered the MetroMeds from Goldfish Connection about a month ago. I called them and had them overnight them. I forget the exact cost of the package. I think it was $25? I decided to go ahead and do it... I called one morning at 10 am and got the package the next day at 12. I know that's a LOT for shipping, so I don't know if you will want to do that, but I just wanted to let you know that they do get there on time as promised.. And they came in handy I am using them now on Samantha. And let me tell you, WOW. I've never seen a fish improve so quickly!!!!

I really hope things turn around for Leroy!!!! Get better little buddy!

Oh dear, what an unpleasant surprise!

A few things:

• Don't feed Medigold. It contains a med that can put compromised kidneys over the top (the fact that he is pineconed suggests a kidney problem). Unless a mod directs otherwise, feed your regular food until you get Metromeds.
  • 86 degrees seems very hot. I would do your best to maintain a steady and lower temperature, around 80 degrees or so. When Pepper had dropsy here recently Trinket explained to me that fish secrete a lot more stress hormones at higher temperatures, which further compromises their immune function.
  • If I were you I would start with epsom salt and give that a while to work. You can have Maracyn 2 on hand to use if the epsom salts don't seem to be working or he gets worse.
  • Goldfish Connection will send you medicated foods overnight -- they are used to dealing with panicked goldfish owners. The good news is that they are on EST so you can call them first thing this morning.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Okay, well, I went to order some MetroMeds only to remember that my bank card had been hacked sometime between July 1st and 3rd and someone had charged almost $1,000 worth of stuff on it and I had to cancel it. A new card is on order, but I don't have any other credit cards, so ordering MetroMeds is out of the question.

The temp is still at 82 and I dropped the heater to 80.

Leroy is worse. He is belly up on the bottom of the tank completely at the mercy of any current that comes along. I'm going to add Maracyn 2 now.

lynda, a lot of places will let you do a check by phone if its a debit. Drat the luck. At this point if he's not eating then Metromeds wouldn't be a lot of help. Hopefully the Maracyn 2 will work and by the time he wants to eat you'll be able to order the Metromeds.

I'm so sorry that you and Leroy are having such rotten luck. You certainly don't deserve it.

I just wanted to wish you and luck and let you know that there is hope!

My fish, Smudge, was upsidedown at the top of the tank and not eating for 3 days. He was swollen and pineconed. As per Trinket's suggestion I added epsom salt and, ~12 hours later when there was no improvement, I added Maracyn2. Within 12 more hours he was down from the top and able to eat the metromed food. I finished the course of M2 and he is on week 2 of the MM food and looking better. I sure hope your fish pulls through as well.

Boy, it seeems like there is a lot of dropsy these days - I wonder if it is the change in temp or ?

Well, I guess adding the Maracyn 2 was too much for Leroy to handle. Something was. My sweet little piggy Leroy has gone to the great big pond in the sky. Rest in Peace my sweet little one.

Leroy.jpg

Oh no! How sad for you and for Blue too. :cry1 Leroy was a beautiful fish and I am sorry you lost him. But Vickie is right that I am sure he knows he was loved.

Leroy was loved. For over a year he graced my tank and was the oldest member of the tank. He had a unique personality, hence his name. Leroy is the americanization of Le Roi, which is french for king. And that's how he always acted. Like a king; a regal monarch, sitting on his throne, front and center in the middle of the tank, swimming with dignity and grace, overseeing all that occurred in his kingdom.

To move away from the heart and back to the mind. Do I need to have any concerns for the main tank?

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5.0

Ph Level (KH/GH) out of the Tap? 7.0

Ph Level, (If possible, KH and GH and chloramines)? 8.0 (I'm attributing this to the gravel. It's the only thing it could be. I purchased a piece of driftwood over the weekend which will be added to the tank today.)

Brand of test-kit used? (strips or drops?) API drops

[*]Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55 gallon, running approximately 15 months.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter/s? UG with two Penguin 1140 powerheads (I know, I know, no UG comments! :) )

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? 50% weekly

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3" oranda and 2" lionhead

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? StressCoat

[*]Any medications added to the tank? 0.1% salt solution

[*]Add any new fish to the tank? Lionhead 4 days ago after 3 week qt.

[*]What do you feed your fish? Gel food (potpourri protein gel and veggie gel), flakes, brine shrimp, oranges, kiwi, peaches, spirulina flakes, dried tubifex worms, etc.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? No. Not on current, existing fish, however, Leroy had the cyst (which never appeared to have popped) and floating and, after what appeared to be a complete recovery, subsequently, dropsy and death.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Both fish are healthy, active and eating well. So far, this question is for preventative measures seeking advice and opinions on whether there could/might be something in the tank, based on these sicknesses and, if so, how best to deal with it.

I can't give you any advice -- I am facing the same concern following Pepper's unexplained death. I am taking comfort in my UV sterilizer, however. They are pricey but do wonderful things for your water clarity and relieve a burden from your mind when you are worrying about bugs getting transmitted among fish.

I did want to caution you about adding the driftwood to your tank, however. A pH of 8.0 is in no way harmful and it is very hard to predict how much driftwood is going to reduce your pH and how fast. I think it can vary from piece to piece even from the same store. There is someone around here (can't remember who) who lost fish due to a pH crash caused by adding driftwood to the tank. I would give things in your tank a week or two to stabilize following Leroy's death (Blue will be stressed, I am sure) before adding the wood. During that time you can soak it in hot water in a bucket to help leach tannins out of it so that it does not have as dramatic effect on your aquarium water.

I can't give you any advice -- I am facing the same concern following Pepper's unexplained death. I am taking comfort in my UV sterilizer, however. They are pricey but do wonderful things for your water clarity and relieve a burden from your mind when you are worrying about bugs getting transmitted among fish.

I did want to caution you about adding the driftwood to your tank, however. A pH of 8.0 is in no way harmful and it is very hard to predict how much driftwood is going to reduce your pH and how fast. I think it can vary from piece to piece even from the same store. There is someone around here (can't remember who) who lost fish due to a pH crash caused by adding driftwood to the tank. I would give things in your tank a week or two to stabilize following Leroy's death (Blue will be stressed, I am sure) before adding the wood. During that time you can soak it in hot water in a bucket to help leach tannins out of it so that it does not have as dramatic effect on your aquarium water.

Definitely, a UV sterilizer is not in the budget at this time. Yeah, I was going to soak the driftwood, but not adding it right away is a good idea. The piece of driftwood is small, about 9" x 3", and is really more for decor than ph control. I've never been a proponent of modifying ph, but I figured since the ph was at 8 and the piece was relatively small, I could get away with it. I'll monitor the ph very closely after adding it in a week or so. In fact, I think I'll do a test in one of my empty 10 gallons and see what scenarios and readings I can create.

Oh Lynda. I am sorry about Leroy. There have been so many losses lately...

It's such a shame. It's too late, but I was going to offer to order the MetroMeds for you, and have you just send me a check when you had time.. I am curious what you will do with your tank. I am wondering what to do with my tank also...

Poor little Leroy. Rest in peace fella. :rip:

Oh Lynda. I am sorry about Leroy. There have been so many losses lately...

It's such a shame. It's too late, but I was going to offer to order the MetroMeds for you, and have you just send me a check when you had time.. I am curious what you will do with your tank. I am wondering what to do with my tank also...

Poor little Leroy. Rest in peace fella. :rip:

Now this made me cry.... :cry this is the love and fellowship this site offers that you just don't find out there in the rest of this world. Sweetie, you are the best! My qt and hospital tanks will remain awaiting, now two, new members when I find just the right ones.

Nope, EVERYONE on here is the best. The members of this board have the biggest hearts.. I'm only acting the way that everyone else on here has acted to me....

Aww Lynda. I wonder what little guy or girl is out there waiting for you right now... They'll be a lucky fish : )

Oh, Lynda. I am so sorry for your loss. I got teared up reading about Leroy. I'm trying to save my little Tangerine right now who seems to have come down with dropsy as well. It has only been two weeks, but I am already attached.

You will have a lucky fish awaiting you out there.