Caution With Bristlenose Plecos

I know that others have successfully kept bristlenose plecos with goldfish and it is not my intention to start a debate here. I just wanted to let you know about my experience so that you can make an informed decision.

I purchased a bristlnose pleco (Buzz) several months ago to keep my tank clean of algae. He did a great job of that and I never witnessed any aggressive behavior on his part toward my goldfish. But almost every morning I would notice a little fin tear here, a little scale knocked off there. Eventually I moved the bristlenose into his own 20 gallon tank and the nighttime damage immediately stopped.

So, like I said, Buzz is in his own 20 gallon tank now. I also have an apple snail in there -- I figured that they wouldn't bother each other. The past few nights I have heard clattering sounds coming from their tank, but I figured that Buzz was swimming around and knocking into the medium sized river stones I have in there. But tonight I got up to check and found him sucked onto my snail's shell, violently attempting to shake the snail out! Clearly he has developed a taste for flesh!

He is not starving -- each night I put algae wafers and/or veggies in there for him. But I guess he has decided he doesn't want to be vegetarian any more. :( Now I have to figure out where the snail can live and be safe.

I'm sorry to hear about your snail. Is he ok?

I don't know. Understandably he has his door tightly shut. I am sure he is scared to death. I have read that a tightly shut snail door is actually a good sign -- if they are dead of badly ailing they lack the muscular strength to close their door completely.

Remarkably, the snail appears to be okay. Do you think it would be alright for me to put him in with my goldfish, at least for the time being?

I am thinking that Buzz might be making a trip back to the LFS tomorrow -- it is hard for me to justify maintaining a tank for a fish that has to be kept alone but always hides completely during the day. The store I got him from is mostly patronized by some pretty serious fish hobbists (mostly cichlid enthusiasts), so I have a fairly high degree of confidence that he would go to a good home. Thoughts?

I'm probably not a good one to ask for advice, because honestly, plecos kinda scare me. I feel like, if you got Buzz in order to fulfill a role (helping maintain the tank) and he is doing more harm than good, it might be better to rehome him.

I don't trust ANY plecos with goldies!! (Or snails for that matter!) I just clean the algae off the tank walls myself, and let it grow in the places I can't reach. The goldies do a nice job of nibbling it, anyway!

The snail is best kept in a tank alone, I'd say. Just set up a species only snaily tank. (I really am wanting to do that myself now!) They are interesting and colorful and I think they would make a nice looking display tank. :)

Thats too bad that Buzz "turned bad" lol. My 2 albino BN plecos are sweet little fish that like to stay away from the goldfish cuz the goldfish will try and eat them lol :) (but they're too fast to be eaten)