In-tank / Terrarium Filters?

This is not a fish question, it's a frog question, but since it's really a filter question, I hoped someone might have some information.

I am going to be setting up an aquarium with half land half water, for a tadpole. The water level will be quite low in the tank, maybe 7 inches. A filter that hangs over the side of the tank (such as what I have for the fish) would not do, because it would have to pump the water very far up, then fall very far down, creating a lot of noise and spash.

I have been reading about in-aquarium filters that suction-cup to the inside of the aquarium, at whatever level the water is. I found them looking up terrarium filters, and they are used for frogs and turtles. I am thinking about getting one of these, but I have no idea what to get. Does anybody have any experience with one of these?

How much water are you planning on having in there?

I have a 7 gallon tank that's about a third land, 2 thirds water for my newts. The water's only about 4 inches deep. I bought an Elite mini sponge filter and I LOVE it. It is easy to clean and powerful for its size. It also seems quite safe, the newts like to climb on it and relax :)

Newts, how delightful! This is a whole new world for me. I'd love to see them! We have little salamanders that live under rocks around here, and they are really cute.

You certainly asked the right question, Chrissy_Bee, one I didn't even think of, I'm so bewildered. It's going to be a 20-gallon tank, about 1/4 full of water. But I'm not sure how to build the land part - I'm thinking I would have a little plastic table kind of thing, with a plastic mesh square basket on top of it to contain the land medium. That way water would flow under it, and he could swim there. Is that crazy? If I did it that way, it would be about 10 gallons of water. My thought would be more water would be easier to keep cleaner than a little pool. He's still a tadpole, and swims. Probably a week after he gets legs and gets used to the whole idea of hopping around, I'd put him out in the pond.

Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated. I'm sort of in a panic as to how to set up his home. :blink:

I'm thinking I would have a little plastic table kind of thing, with a plastic mesh square basket on top of it to contain the land medium.

That could work for sure. I actually filled a medium-sized terra cotta pot with rocks for my newt 'island', then I stacked river rocks around it so they can climb up.

You could also consider a little cheap corner filter, since this is going to be a very short term set up - just something to remove the waste from the water (you could poke sme cycled media from a fish tank in there).

And since you asked...here are two of my three babies :heart

They're Chinese fire bellied newts. I really love keeping them. They are no work at all but tons of fun to watch.

102_9105.jpg

This is when I had a really cheap wally mart filter in there, I wouldn't reccomend it! And yes, there is a terra cotta pot beneath all that gravel.

IMG_0079.jpg

Oh, Chrissy_Bee, I love your little newts! They are just adorable. I would have thought that semi-aquatic animals would be hard to keep. I suppose it's a matter of knowing what to do, just like the goldfish. I am starting to wonder if I am going to keep some frogs, or maybe newts would be fun.

And what a wonderful tank you have! I like the idea with the pot and the rocks around the sides.

When I move the tadpole, I'm going to use water from his current tank, and I have little bags of cycled media in that tank to move over, too, so hopefully it will be ok. I got the tank cleaned and set up on it's stand today, and I will have to go filter-shopping soon!

Mean time, another tiny frog showed up in the pond this morning. I am starting to worry that all the good territories will be taken before my little guy gets out there. I think the two pond inhabitants are young green frogs, and I think the one in the aquarium is a leopard frog.

Thanks for the information! I wish we had an amphibian section here, I love these little creatures.

I would have thought that semi-aquatic animals would be hard to keep. I suppose it's a matter of knowing what to do, just like the goldfish

Exactly :) They can sometimes be a challange. When I first got the newts they refused to eat for a very long time. I had to feed them live earthworms for a while just to entice them. If you do decide to get some amphibians, just do your research. You should join pet brigade!

• 2 weeks later...
This is not a fish question, it's a frog question, but since it's really a filter question, I hoped someone might have some information.

I am going to be setting up an aquarium with half land half water, for a tadpole. The water level will be quite low in the tank, maybe 7 inches. A filter that hangs over the side of the tank (such as what I have for the fish) would not do, because it would have to pump the water very far up, then fall very far down, creating a lot of noise and spash.

I have been reading about in-aquarium filters that suction-cup to the inside of the aquarium, at whatever level the water is. I found them looking up terrarium filters, and they are used for frogs and turtles. I am thinking about getting one of these, but I have no idea what to get. Does anybody have any experience with one of these?

I say go with a Whisper Internal Filter. Don't get the Repto Filter. Its the same thing as the Whisper 10i but its green, has a lid, and is double the price. These are what we recommend at Pet Supplies "Plus". They are great reptile filters that can either hang or suction cup to the tank, work in as little as 2" of water, and create beneficial water flow through the terrarium.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/...1276&cid=51

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/...276&cid=821

Daniel

Daniel, I didn't see your post until just now, so I didn't know about your suggestions! I have already bought and installed something that I hope is ok. It's a Penguin Power Sponge filter, 170 gph. I installed it into the frog tank as it shows on the box. But here's a new question - can I put the filter on its side, so I can lower the water more? The sponge part of the filter is kind of long. Or can I somehow keep the filter in its normal position, and do a little "plumbing" so that the sponge goes onto its side? Thanks!