Frog Found In Pond!

Not everyone would be excited to see frogs in their pond, but I am! :happydance We were walking around the pond today and heard the unmistakeable plop of a frog jumping into the water. Later, my husband walked around the pond examining every rock, and found him, a little dark frog with a yellow smile. We don't know what kind he is yet. Apparently, he finds the habitat suitable. Soon he will have company - the little tadpole I'm growing up in the aquarium is getting legs.

If that wasn't enough excitement for one day, we were actually sitting on our chaise lounges pond-side (at last!) and what should appear but two hummingbirds, male and female! They like to sip from the "Black and Blue" Salvia - they've visited them for three years in a row now. The label on this particular kind of salvia says "attracts hummingbirds" and believe it or not, it really does! I have never kept a hummingbird feeder, but maybe this year I should start.

The troubling of five in the pond are still doing well, and their babies are growing huge in the indoor aquarium. One was tearing vigorously at a bit of pea today.

What a grand day! :nana

Guest RussianBoy11

i wish i had frogs in my pond! but every spring the toads come to my pond and breed there and i have a bunch of toadpoles, its cool because they make nice noises and it sounds like im out in the wilderness. lol

But wait -- there's more! One more frog showed up yesterday!

I suppose somebody will get eaten at some point. One thing I haven't seen are herons, who would eat everybody. I think we're too hilly and secluded under trees for them. At least I hope so.

I love toads, too, and wish some would show up. I've even considered making a "hibernaculum" for them, so they could over-winter.

Here are some pictures of the princely pair:

img_Frog20080707_YellowSmile.jpg

img_Frog20080707_GreenNose.jpg

Looks like they could be Green Frogs (Rana clamitans melanota). They would live in your area, from Newfoundland to the Carolinas. Some people call them Bronze Frogs, however, that name is usually reserved for the southern sub-species. They generally grow to be around three inches. If you ever hear the twang of an off-key banjo coming from your pond, that seals it. The one could be a male, they generally have yellow throats. They will get used to you being around and become quite friendly. LOL

What beautiful frogs!! You are so lucky to have them in your pond! I just love the sound of frogs singing on a summer night. Is your tadpole the same kind of frog?

And hummingbirds, too! Your pond sounds like a paradise. I'd love to see pics of your blue and black Salvia. I have a red one that I got to be a hummingbird attractant, too, but it's not doing too well in the summer heat.

Guest spawn

Personally I've never kept frogs in my pond. I net them out and release them. (partly because my house backs onto a park, and if i get one, dozens turn up)

Although I do let them spawn in the pond. Then fish it out for my tank fish. Lovely natural food.

Here is a picture of the "Black and Blue" Salvia. It's not very showy, but the hummingbirds seem to like it.

img_BlackAndBlueSalvia.jpg

I have not seen the frogs Rana clamitans melanota in 2 days. I hope they are still there. It's not exactly a boggy froggy habitat. I do know the off-key banjo sound, what a good description! :teehee These little ones haven't been partying yet, so I have not heard them. The one in the house is probably a Leopard frog. He (or she?) has shapely looking back legs, but no front ones yet.

I just got it, RussianBoy11 - toadpoles. :rofl