Anal Cyst?

Goshe

Oranda (I've had it for over 3 years now) appeared fine (eating normally, swimming with other fish) until Friday evening, at which point he was at the bottom of the tank not eating. I left him until the morning to see if he'd recover overnight. Saturday morning I found him in the same place, with the big comet pushing him around. A quick examination yielded the strangest thing I've seen in my years of fish-care.... there's a cyst/sac approximately 1cm in diameter where the anus would otherwise be. The sac appears to be filled with fluid, possibly some blood and a white-ish spot.

I've never seen anything like this before. So I'm hoping someone can shed some light on it?

I've been injecting 0.1 cc of penicillin every 12 hours for the past 36 hours.

Requested details:

-pH around 7.5, nitrate very minimal (fish store said around 5 ppm), nitrite less than 0.1ppm.

-recent water change 8 days ago, water conditioner used and Serapond bio balance was used to increase tap water pH (typical is around 5.5 - 6).

-Tank is 48 gallons

-Two filters (Fluvial 3 at one end of tank, Fluvial 2 at the other end)

-2/3 water changes done every month

-3 goldfish (12 inch pond Comet, 5 inch Oranda, 1.5 inch black Moor), plus 2 corys and a smallish pleko)

-No new fish have been added for over 6 months

-Two big fish eat two or three "Hikari Staple medium pellets" twice a day, little fish get a small amount of nutrafin sinking goldfish pellets.

post-11807-1215387795_thumb.jpg

post-11807-1215387865_thumb.jpg

Wow your poor fish! :(

My first thought was rectal prolapse, but I don't even know if that's possible with fish (I don't think they have an anal sphincter). Hopefully someone on here has seen something like this before and can help out.

I've never seen anything like this before, so I am not much help. But I just want to say hang in there, I am confident that very experienced and knowledgeable people will see this thread and be able to provide more insight regarding your fish' condition. Good luck with him. Please keep us posted. :)

Any updates on your fish' condition? I hope he is doing better! By chance, do you happen to have a test reading for ammonia? I noticed it isn't included in your last post... Also, with the two big comets in there, it appears your tank is overstocked. I would recommend increasing your water changes to at least 2 times per week to maintain optimal water quality. Do you have a test kit? You mentioned the pet store reported your water results... I would recommend investing in an API water test kit, the drop type, not the strips. They are very accurate. I learned this the hard way...

Anyway, let us know how your Oranda is doing. I am sure someone with more information will respond soon! :)

UPDATE:

The cyst/lump/thing has not really decreased in size, BUT the Oranda is back up and swimming around. He's eating a small amount, and is starting to struggle when I do his twice daily penicillin injections now.

SO... he seems to be getting his energy back, but that cyst is still there. If the antibiotic is what's helping, it leads me to think that either the cyst has created an infection, OR the cyst is a result of an infection/internal parasites. This being said, without knowing what the cyst is exactly, I don't think there's a way of knowing if the antibiotic is targeting the cause or the symptoms.

If anyone at all has any thoughts on this, I'd really appreciate it.

To respond to Desiree:

I don't have exact ammonia levels, but my friend (who runs the fish store) was not alarmed in anyway by any of the test results. (He tests my water regularly for me). Sorry I didn't take down all the details... I was in such a panic to just make sure there was nothing drastic with the water that I didn't make sure to write down all the info (I just remembered most of it). I do test my own pH twice a week with a drop test kit.... just because the tap pH is so variable here. I can definitely get a full test kit for home though. On the note of overstocking, I've always gone on the 1" of fish per gallon rule and then doubled that... which still puts me in the safe zone with my current fish/aquarium set up. Am I completely off with this? Except for a parasite issue I had a year back, I've never had a problem with these fish. I can definitely up the water changes to twice a month, but practicality issues would make twice a week simply too much.

I had an oranda that had the same thing. Luckily I work with a vet who knows something about fish. It ilooks like a prolapsed rectum. The vet told me to use an anitifungal on it. Apparently a common cause of prolapsed rectum is a fungal infection. I used Maracyn-TC for 2 weeks and feed the medi-gold food and it cleared up.

Yes, initial thoughts were rectal prolapse, so I'm glad to hear someone else has had experience with it!!

I'd originally ruled out fungus, because it seems like the Penicillin was actually helping (the fish became much more perky after 2 days of dosage), BUT... now that I think about, the following is likely happening:

1. The Penicillin is not in fact helping the rectal prolapse situation at all (as it is not effective against fungus)...
  2. What the Penicillin is likely doing is treating a secondary infection that has been created by the prolapse itself... which is why the fish is at least attempting to act 'normal' (feels somewhat better!)

If the above is true, I'd better shift to Maracyn-TC to get rid of the fungus ASAP... although I'm afraid of pulling the Penicillin treatment (in case the secondary infection theory is correct).

Anyone know if there are any counter-indications of giving both gram-positive (Penicillin) and gram-negative (Maracyn-TC) antibiotics?

While this may have started out as a rectal prolapse possibly related to egg impaction I would say it has been infected with bacteria or virus. It looks to me like it has become a papilloma type of growth. Is the anal vent completely covered or not? Is the fish able to pass his poo?

Whatever else you try, what is absolutely crucial is a 100% water change. The trouble with papillomas of all kinds is they are an indication that organic waste levels are too high. I don't wish to sound like a broken record here but as Desiree pointed out you have a 12 inch comet in your tank- that is a big fish that should by this time possibly be in a pond and must be excreting enormous ammounts of waste. You also have a pleco (huge waste producers). I think one water change a month is really very far from enough and suggest you make once weekly (min) water changes a top priority from here on. The rule of 1" per 1 gallon by the way is for tropicals not goldies. Goldfish need 10 gallons for each fancy (your oranda and moor) and 20 for each single tail. Your stocking levels might be manageable if you could increase the water changes but if you cannot I think you will need to remove your comet.

As for the antibiotics. In my opinion penecillin is not a very effective antibiotic for fish. Very effective for people. Injections are not usually warranted unless the fish has stopped eating - has he? Maracyn TC is tetracyline hydrochloride- also targets gram pos aerobic bacteria mainly and some gram neg but it should not be used with bleeding or reddened ulcers.That growth is looking infected. A better antibiotic bath might be BINOX. This is a salt water antibiotic bath you can add to the water after a 100% water change and is good for reddened infected sores that are infected with flex as many of these papillomas are.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone...

I'm happy to say that the Oranda is doing much better. The swelling is almost completely gone down.

Thank you very much to everyone who helped... the confirmation that this type of thing has been seen by someone else (gunbunnyj) really helped (gave me a bit of reassurance that the fish would come through the situation okay!) And the feedback from Trinket about antibiotic usage was very helpful!

Does anyone know if there is there any way of having one of the moderators changed the title of this topic to "Oranda with Prolapsed Rectum"? I think it would be very helpful to have this up for others to see in the future (and more accurately titled!)

I'm glad to hear that your fish is better! That's great!

I've always gone on the 1" of fish per gallon rule and then doubled that... which still puts me in the safe zone with my current fish/aquarium set up. Am I completely off with this?

Yes, for goldfish, that rule doesn't apply because they have such a high waste output. The "rule" for goldfish is a minimum of 10 gallons of water per fish. And for the single tails, because they get so large, a minimum of 20 gallons. If a single tail is still small, the 10 gallon will apply for a while, but a 12 inch comet definitely needs at least 20 gallons alone. Your oranda is also quite large, so it needs about 15 gallons just for itself. For the size of the moor, 10 gallons still applies. The cories can apply to the 1 inch per 1 gallon of water, but the pleco, depending on the species and current size, is also going to need to be allowed at least 10 gallons. Just because the cories and pleco are bottom feeders, you can't discount them from the water bioload equasion. They still poop. It's also not the best idea to keep single tail goldfish with fancies because they can move so much faster and, thus, eat more food. It's also not the best idea to keep plecos with goldfish as plecos have a taste for the goldfish's slime coat. Now, it would probably be okay with the comet as the comet is fast enough to keep away from the pleco. Also, plecos and cories are tropicals and have different water temperature and food requirements, which says that maybe they shouldn't be with goldfish at all. So, it would probably be a good idea, if you can, to get a second tank and separate your fish. Maybe get at least a 30 gallon tank and put your oranda and moor in there and leave the rest in the 48 gallon. Of course, keep in mind, that as they continue to grow, everyone will eventually need even larger tanks. Of course, if you do get a second tank, make sure it's cycled before transferring your fancies. Also, with goldfish, once a month water changes is just not enough. Weekly water changes are a must. And, if you haven't yet gotten drop test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates, with goldfish, it's a very good idea to have those on hand at all times.

Continued good luck with your goldies!

Edited by lynda441

Goshe, changed the title for you. :)

Are you having any "after" pictures? That would be very educational to see the difference. :thumbs: