First Time Horseback Riding

Erinaceus

This morning Isilme, Miki and I went horseback riding. Miki used to do it regularly about 10 years ago, and for Isilme this was her second reid, but for me it was the very first time. We rode through a sort of nature park for about 90 min, alternating between a walk and a trot (boy, that can hurt after a while :wacko::P ). All in all, I'd like to do it again (if I can manage to find some spare room in my schedule, that is :) ). Anyone else have experience horseback riding?

:rofl Wait until tomorrow!!!! You will really appreciate the horse, then!

Actually, I love to ride. I usually go bareback, though. It gives me less sore knees and such. The stirrup always seems to twist my knees in a hard way - and it bothers a lot.

Getting around on horseback is wonderful - it allows you to slow down and appreciate nature a bit more. A horse can usually be counted upon to find a neat way to go that you would not think of, either. I have found some wonderful trails simply by letting them have their own way.... we go places you would not expect - and find plants/animals that never cease to suprise.

I can almost always count on one of the horses I ride to find a big group of wild turkey if I just let him have his head. He seems to like them. I think it is cool.

I hope you get to ride often. It is a great pasttime. :)

I only rode for the first time a couple of years ago, it was great fun!! We walked, trotted and cantered for 3hrs.

The only problem is is that half my friends are horse nuts! Both compete nationally and make me feel like a total noob! But they are good when you don't know something simple to do with horses in classes...

I rode in the summers as a kid and loved it so much :heart

But then as a teen I went with my dad once and had a really bad experience. The horses were untrained, and I think possibly abused. Needless to day, it scared me off it for a while.

I'm still a little nervous around big horses now, but I'm actually looking for a place to go for a ride this summer, I want to try it again :)

Oddly enough, my muscles don't feel sore at all :hummm:D . In fact, because of not sitting in the right posture at work Thursday and Friday, I had a sore back on Saturday (when we visited a quarry, which didn't help; finding fossils and stuff), but was gone after the ride, so I guess the horseback riding actually helped with that :o:) .

I rode in the summers as a kid and loved it so much :heart

But then as a teen I went with my dad once and had a really bad experience. The horses were untrained, and I think possibly abused. Needless to day, it scared me off it for a while.

I'm still a little nervous around big horses now, but I'm actually looking for a place to go for a ride this summer, I want to try it again :)

The horses we used were really docile (if sometimes enthusiastic and a bit bugged by the horse-flies), and oddly enough I didn't feel very apprehensive (even though I had expected to).

Actually, I love to ride. I usually go bareback, though. It gives me less sore knees and such. The stirrup always seems to twist my knees in a hard way - and it bothers a lot.

I had that yesterday with my right ankle, after an hour it was very sore. So the last half an hour i didn't put my feet in the stirrup, and the pain got less. My ankle is still a bit swollen and stiff at the moment. I can get synovitis by doing nothing so I rather get it from something I enjoyed. :D

How fun! I like to go riding if I can get an old fat horse that doesn't feel like breaking into a full out canter, I'm one for trail riding not too much excitement. Though the old fat ones like to eat more than walk which can be a challenge. :rofl

Yessss!!! I love horsies, but don't make time to ride much these days. I have to go out and feed/clean at the boarding barn every weekend, but after that I'm usually too tired or have some other lame excuse. They have a great covered arena to ride in too, and we even have our own truck and trailer--so what's my problem?? Once I do get on and ride I always have a great time 'cause the horses are such a joy to be around. Anyway, last weekend I finally remembered to take my digi and got some great pics of my riding horse--Dante, the Peruvian Paso. My other horse, the Arab is boarded at a different place since he's retired from riding now. Think I'll make a separate thread for all the pix if anybody wants to see them.

Yeah, I only do trail riding as well--and that's about all my "riding skills" can handle!! So much fun, though. :)

That's really fun that you got to go horseback riding for the first time.. Sounds like overall you had a really good experience!

I love horses. I wish I lived in the country and could have my own. The first time I rode anything at all, it was a mule. It was calm and easy and I loved it..Then I tried a real horse. What a difference.

Hmm now I wanna post pictures of my horse experiences. I'll start a new thread so I don't hog up yours LOL

Hmm now I wanna post pictures of my horse experiences. I'll start a new thread so I don't hog up yours LOL

Either way would be fine by me, but a new thread would mean that your pictures got some more attention (which I'm sure they'll deserve) ;) .

I've gone a few times but didn't really take to it. 2 of my best friends are really into horses but I just never took to it because I couldn't connect with or understand them well. I'll stick to just admiring them ;)

I didn't get riding, but I did go to a local farm today with my bf's neice and snapped this pic of a big friendly girl who wanted to taste my camera :D

IMG_2270.jpg

That is sooo cute!!! I love funky pix like that--you know something unusual that's not like everybody else's. What a great picture. :)