Water Hyacinths

PHYLAL

I tried water hyacinths in my pond this spring for the first time. They began to bloom immediately. What incredibly beautiful flowers they have. My question, how long do they bloom? I found information on the internet that they should bloom from late spring through early fall. However, mine stopped about a month ago and have not flowered since. The plants seem to be healthy, the leaves are green, they are growing wildly, but they are not blooming. My pond seems to have enough nutrients in the water (judging from the algae growth). What is my problem?

• 2 weeks later...

We seem to be having the same pond experiences. My water hyacinth bloomed once, then gave up for many weeks. Just now it has started again. Maybe it's related to the algae/nitrates? High nitrates and it grows and multiplies (as does the algae), fewer nitrates and it puts up flowers? Anyway, my plants have started blooming again, now that the algae is gone, and my nitrates are (surprises me, too) zero. I'm curious about your nitrates, PHYLAL - and have your water hyacinths started blooming again?

We seem to be having the same pond experiences. My water hyacinth bloomed once, then gave up for many weeks. Just now it has started again. Maybe it's related to the algae/nitrates? High nitrates and it grows and multiplies (as does the algae), fewer nitrates and it puts up flowers? Anyway, my plants have started blooming again, now that the algae is gone, and my nitrates are (surprises me, too) zero. I'm curious about your nitrates, PHYLAL - and have your water hyacinths started blooming again?

Well that is good news,?. I hope. I just had a miraculous decrease in algae myself, happened rather quickly. It had been a terrible problem this spring. No, my hyacinth have not started blooming, but they have slowed their growth somewhat. You may be on to something there with the relationship between algae growth and hyacinth growth. I just hope you are right about the flowering as well. Many land based plants are sensitive that way; high fertilizer, heavy foliage, no flowers. My ammonia and nitrates have been safely low ( or 0) all along. Will let you know. Thanks.

Edited by PHYLAL